Yamaha Rxa-1070

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
can anyone give me some answers on the Yamaha DSP-A1 I know it's an old school AV amplifier but I've come across a brand new one on eBay *shok* yes a brand new one never been out of the box still has the straps on the box for £499 that's one hell of a amplifier for that money .

now I used to have the Yamaha DSP-A2 years ago and thought then it was a great AV amplifier back then and we are talking 1995 when I brought a brand new one which was expensive then .

anyway the questions are I would be happy with 5.1 and this av will do 7.1 what are the drawbacks on owning a AV this old ? I understand it would not have the hdmi connections and my Tv is a 4K tv could I still connect the sound though the A1 ? Without hdmi

the other factors are sound formats I remember the A2 doing 5.1 Dolby digital , DTS were in the current sound formats would I lose out on ? Not interested dolby atmos as I do not want the extra speakers .

is there anything else I've forgot if so please let me know as I am interested in this Yamaha DSP A1 at that price but if it's not a great idea then I will have to stick to my original choice which was going to be the Yamaha RX-1060 .

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
and stick with your original choice of the RX-1060.

the reasons why ?

the price has jumped to £599 since you posted this question.

the seller says this item has been sourced from a house where it has sat for over twenty years, although the box looks ok (no pic of the bottom) we have no idea of the conditions the room it sat in are (was the room heated etc).

as the box is sealed we have no idea whether the amp actually works and again what condition the power supply and circuit boards are in.

the amp is over twenty years old and while state of the art when released the best output from the amp is S-video so no high def picture then, probably equivilent to bad quality dvd today, it would be also need some sort of video scaler/converter box (at extra cost) to connect to your 4K tv and no as there is no ARC in the amp if would also be difficult to get any sound into the amp from your tv.

as there are no hdmi inputs the best sound formats this amp would give you would only be standard dolby digital (not True HD) and dts (not DTS Master) and looking further this amp does not do 7.1 as we think of now with four surround speakers at the back of the room, with this amp the extra 2 channels are used to power two front "pressence" spks that are placed high on the wall behind the front spks.

there are some other things why I don't think this amp is worth the money ( even if it was half the price I wouldn't bother) so even if your not interested in the latest sound formats (like Atmos) at the moment, I think its always great to have them plus it would be so much easier to connect the new amp to your 4K tv.

*music2*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
and stick with your original choice of the RX-1060.

the reasons why ?

the price has jumped to £599 since you posted this question.

the seller says this item has been sourced from a house where it has sat for over twenty years, although the box looks ok (no pic of the bottom) we have no idea of the conditions the room it sat in are (was the room heated etc).

as the box is sealed we have no idea whether the amp actually works and again what condition the power supply and circuit boards are in.

the amp is over twenty years old and while state of the art when released the best output from the amp is S-video so no high def picture then, probably equivilent to bad quality dvd today, it would be also need some sort of video scaler/converter box (at extra cost) to connect to your 4K tv and no as there is no ARC in the amp if would also be difficult to get any sound into the amp from your tv.

as there are no hdmi inputs the best sound formats this amp would give you would only be standard dolby digital (not True HD) and dts (not DTS Master) and looking further this amp does not do 7.1 as we think of now with four surround speakers at the back of the room, with this amp the extra 2 channels are used to power two front "pressence" spks that are placed high on the wall behind the front spks.

there are some other things why I don't think this amp is worth the money ( even if it was half the price I wouldn't bother) so even if your not interested in the latest sound formats (like Atmos) at the moment, I think its always great to have them plus it would be so much easier to connect the new amp to your 4K tv.

*music2*
thanks for your response that's what I thought

it is a bit weird that a amplifier this old is still in a box that's never been out of it after all of this time as I said in my opening post I had the A2 which what I remember of it was very good but as you have said 20 add years ago is a long time technology wise .

actually about the 1060 I've come into a little bit of money and was thinking should I keep with the idea of the 1060 or wait for Yamaha new flagship 3070 when it comes out in august

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I updated my TV ready for putting together my home cinema as my old TV was 17years old anyway so now have a Sony 49" 4K TV next will be buying the Av amplifier but depends on which model Yamaha I buy but originally l I was going to buy the older Yamaha 1060 as I was waiting for the prices to drop first on last years model .

then I've come into a little bit of money so now thinking of the new Yamaha 3070 when it comes out in august .

there are 2 reasons why I am thinking of the flagship 3070 is 1. It's meant to be really good with music like my Yamaha A-S2100 is because originally I was going to connect my A-S2100 though the pre-outs to what ever Av I end up with .

but as the new Yamaha 3070 has got a really good onboard dac and got music direct as well as using the XLRs I would of thought its would be a one box solution without the need to muck around connecting two amplifiers together

2 I've got the money to do this

the other question is on the newer 1070 would this have the same quality dac like the flagship 3070 does

and I've still got to factor in 3 Dali option flat speakers which cost £499 each and then a sub which I was thinking of Dali's sub or buy a Rel sub

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Went into richer sounds today to ask about the Yamaha 3070 and to see if they had the older 3060 in as well just to have a look and listen to last years model .

i was out of luck they did not have the Yamaha 3060 in as an old demo unit which I hoped they did just to see how big it was and some of the features as some of the features would be the same as the new model coming out in august anyway .

the salesman did not have a clue when the new model was coming out and I said I've read it's coming out a round august but to make sure I said could you find out for me please . Yep august but do not no when in august .

I wanted to keep my Yamaha A-S2100 for music and then use the Yamaha 3070 for films but making the connection

Through the pre-outs on both amps ( but do you reckon the Yamaha 3070 would be capable of the same quality music as the A-S2100 as it's got the dedicated XLR inputs on the 3070 do you think Yamaha are trying to make a box that's good for films and music in one box ? Wouldn't it be nice if this was the case .

Then I asked about subs I noticed in the shop they had a little Rel sub I could not believe how small it was as I remember my Rel I had in the 1990s it was big I think it was a Rel 3 something it's ages ago but the salesman in the shop said that little sub will make the shop shake *lol* the driver in that little thing must of been 6" I reckon .

anyway it was a quick visit just to ask some questions but a wast of time I will wait until August and then look at everything properly .

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
One tip for you if you're looking for ex-demo at Richers.

From the Home Page of their website, click 'TV & Cinema' > 'AV Receivers'

Scroll right to the bottom of the page and you'll see all the clearance AV receivers. Click the next or previous page to find the model you're interested in (note, not the next or previous page at the top, just the clearance tab window only).

Click on the model you want. A new page will open with all those models, with the specific stores that are currently holding stock of them and the price. So I noticed for example this evening there was a refurbished Yamaha RX-A3050 at Cardiff for £699. A heck of a beast for the money, although I think that model year is pre-HDCP 2.2 etc, so perhaps not quite the amazing bargain you might initially think.

if you check the usual suspect suppliers though, most have a similar search facility for clearance products, so might prevent wasted journeys.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Leeps said:
One tip for you if you're looking for ex-demo at Richers.

From the Home Page of their website, click 'TV & Cinema' > 'AV Receivers'

Scroll right to the bottom of the page and you'll see all the clearance AV receivers. Click the next or previous page to find the model you're interested in (note, not the next or previous page at the top, just the clearance tab window only).

Click on the model you want. A new page will open with all those models, with the specific stores that are currently holding stock of them and the price. So I noticed for example this evening there was a refurbished Yamaha RX-A3050 at Cardiff for £699. A heck of a beast for the money, although I think that model year is pre-HDCP 2.2 etc, so perhaps not quite the amazing bargain you might initially think.

if you check the usual suspect suppliers though, most have a similar search facility for clearance products, so might prevent wasted journeys.
thanks for the information I will be waiting for the new Yamaha 3070 when it come out in august I think this will be a good av when it comes out

I have been looking around the internet for what little info there is and what people are saying about the 3070 but also looked at the reviews on the 3060 as well

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok today I took the plunge and brought the new Yamaha Rxa-1070 and one Dali LCR for the centre channel

i got a deal *shok* from richer sounds on the new 1070 it's not been out long but got a £100 knocked off and £50 off the Dali opticon LCR in walnut which they normally sell for £499 each .

i was going to buy the 3070 but thought about it and thought it would be over kill so went for the 1070 instead I got one in black .

i have taken it out of the box but can not use it yet as I have the Dali LCR speaker on order which will be next week when it turns up but even then I have not got the back speakers or the sub so I thought I would wait till the Dali LCR comes and then run it just L+R+C for now and till I get the money together for the backs and sub .

so at least I have matched the LCR with my Dali opticon 8s whether I wait and save for 2 more Dali LCRs I am not sure but they are expensive at £499 each and in regards to the sub again do I buy a Rel or do I buy a Dali sub ? But basically I will end up with a 5.1 setup .

4k blue ray player I am going to wait as I think the market has to settle before I make a move and buy one as prices have to settle and technology will improve each new model that comes out so it's best to wait 12 months before I buy one .

A question I brought a HDMI cable today as well to make the connection from my TV to Av amp I was told that you need a proper 4K HDMI cable is this true ? I brought a audioquest HDMI cable peal for £25 which I did not want to spend anymore then that to be honest as I thought it's been proven that all HDMI cables are the same whether one cost £5 or £1000 maybe someone can let me no . *smile*

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you'll be delighted with its performance. *good*

Dali and Rel both make good subs. What's your budget and which models were you looking at?

The HDMI cable you've bought will be absolutely fine for your needs.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you'll be delighted with its performance. *good*

Dali and Rel both make good subs. What's your budget and which models were you looking at?

The HDMI cable you've bought will be absolutely fine for your needs.
I have not looked that far yet to be honest at subs or which back speakers I will end up with but I have had a Rel sub 10 years ago and I liked the Rel sub what I had at the time but technology moves fast over 10 years so not sure without a demo lined up but I do no that's all Rel the company do is subs and they have been making them for years .

dali make 3 or 4 good subs again I've got have a demo first before I make my mind up but I reckon budget around the £500-600 mark but it's between Dali and Rel on the subs and I might just save for 2 more Dali LCRs for the backs at least then my room does not look like richer sounds show room .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hope you enjoy your new kit. Do you also have a Yamaha wxc-50 by any chance. That way you could also try music cast multi room.

Will you be using the sub for movies or will it do double duty for music too.

Emotive has recently launched Thier basx x series of sub woofers. Which are very reasonably priced and are getting some favourable reviews. But you'd have to buy blind are they are direct internet sellers. You could consider 2 of them for movies. However if it were music you can consider rel and JL audio e series subs.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Hope you enjoy your new kit. Do you also have a Yamaha wxc-50 by any chance. That way you could also try music cast multi room.

Will you be using the sub for movies or will it do double duty for music too.

Emotive has recently launched Thier basx x series of sub woofers. Which are very reasonably priced and are getting some favourable reviews. But you'd have to buy blind are they are direct internet sellers. You could consider 2 of them for movies. However if it were music you can consider rel and JL audio e series subs.
I do not need to use the Yamaha Wxc-50 anymore as the 1070 has this built in so the Yamaha Wxc-50 is redundant

as to regarding subs I would buy a sub just for films not music as my Dali opticon 8s have big bass drivers so no need to add bass to the opticon 8s as my main goal is to keep music and films separate .

the Yamaha 1070 will be connected to my 2100 by the pre-outs so my 2100 will still be running the Dali opticon 8s and the 1070 will be running centre and back speakers plus sub so basically a 5.1 setup

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Having some issues with connections and setup

Basically at the moment I have setup the 1070 and connected with my A-S2100 though the pre-outs into the L&R inputs on the 1070 which the 2 are working together but noticed that in the 1070 menu in the speaker configurations it shows I do not have 2 L+Rs is this normal ? But I get sound .

the other issue I have is I have a free sat box I get the picture but no sound

i am using the ARC input this works for blue ray but not for the free sat box only picture I have one HDMI cable coming from the TV using ARC input then connecting the other end into ARC input 1 on the AV . it's starting to get a little complicated as I do understand that there are HDMI settings on the Av as well as my Sony TV I thought it was a simple case of connecting HDMI cables and both TV and Av would do something on auto set but I was wrong

blue ray is connected blue ray to HDMI 1 .

My problem is which do I look at first the TV or the Av to sort out this sound issue with the free sat box

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
On my LG TV I have to go into the settings, and in the sound settings, I have to disable the inbuilt speakers, and enable audio out via ARC. It could be the same through the Sony TV as well.

Your issue with the satbox is not very clear. Is it plugged into your TV or into the avr. If it is plugged into the TV , then enabling the above settings in your Sony TV should solve the same.

One more thing is that , if you have two HDMI outs on the avr, only one could be arc enabled. So you have to connect the Tv through this HDMI port only.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the help i got up this morning and the sound was working with the sat box the HDMI must of reset its self and yes there was sound coming though the tv too so stopped tv speakers and now ok .

i think and not sure the reason the Av does not show my L + R s is that i have them plugged into my music amp as this is being used to run the front speakers but when it comes to using the mic i am not sure how i am going to record the speaker outputs ?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
So I really don't know . But if during claibration of the speakers there is no sound coming from the front LR, then there is a issue. During claibration the avr only checks if it's test tones are being received at the Mike. If it receives it, it shouldn't show are front LR missing, as you getting sound out of them. But Iam not the expert here. I guess bigboss or sir Benedict are more qualified to answer this.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Big boss if you can help out

i have connected my Yamaha A-S2100 my music amplifier to my RX-A1070 using the pre-outs on the A-S2100 to the L+R inputs on the RX-A1070 which I get sound and the test tone

but the RX-A1070 does not show that I have L+Rs connected as they are connected to my Yamaha A-S2100 instead can I still test the L+Rs when it comes to setting up the delays and outputs ? If not I take it I would have to test manually using sound meter and tape measure like the old days

the other thing is I take it the AV amp will not show ever that it's in 5.1 ,7.1 on the display as I have no L+R connected ?

And will the L+Rs keep with a films soundtrack when they need to as I keep thinking they are acting like they are passive as basically my Yamaha A-S2100 is acting like a slave to the 1070 .

falling all this I would have to find a place were I could buy a switching box so I can share my L+Rs with both amps

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok managed to sort out my stereo amp connection with the Av amp I can not change speaker size in the Av menu but I can use the YPAO to set my fonts and centre speaker as that's all I have for now as I've brought 2 more Dali opticon LCRs for the backs which will be here next week .

the YPAO I found to be un-accurate with the measurements and it was saying my L+Rs were out of phase which they are not as Yamaha says if you keep getting this message and your connections are right then do not worry . It's a common thing so I've read on the internet .

so up and running and sounds pretty good even without a sub or the back speakers .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
how much would you spend on surround back speakers ?

as I've changed my mind on buying 2 more Dali LCRs as I thought this would be overkill for back speakers and thought of buying the Dali opticon 1s which you get 2 for the price of £499 where the LCRs are £499 each what do you reckon big boss ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts