Yamaha RX-V1900 or Marantz SR6003 Recomendation?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Looking forward to this whatever the result.

I am wondering if the RX-V is as complex to setup for the best sound as I've heard (no pun intended).

Monkey I just couldn't resist, it appears to fit my needs ideally and cost the same as the 863 which I'd originally budgeted for. Perfect :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vimeous: I am wondering if the RX-V is as complex to setup for the best sound as I've heard (no pun intended).

Monkey I just couldn't resist, it appears to fit my needs ideally and cost the same as the 863 which I'd originally budgeted for. Perfect :)The Yamaha's are some of the easiest amps to set up that I've come across, something our installer agrees with.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Well I eventually went for the SR6003. I must say that, from a sound quality perspective, it is excellent. I would however state that I do not have great deal of experience on which to provide a well grounded assessment. But, compared to the Denon 2309, the improvement is night and day. The sound is a lot more detailed with greater separation. The SQ from the denon was muffled/sluggish/flat by comparison. Considering that these two recievers are now at the same price point the marantz is excellent value for money.

On the down side (still working through the manual) the marantz probably does'nt have the same feature count as the denon e.g:

1. No Dynamic EQ (the marantz does have Night mode and there is a HT-EQ option, but I have'nt tested this yet),

2. You can't apply different crossover frequencies for different speakers (i think you could with the denon),

3. The crossover setting will only go down as far as 60hz (the kefs appear to have an initial spike at 40hz I wanted to address). I'm also unsure as to whether the Audyssey optimisation effects frequencies beyond 60hz.

4. I do'nt think you can apply the audyssey EQ optimisation to a HD sound input (although it looks like you can apply the settings manually to a 7.1 profile).

However, the marantz does have a GUI which makes the setup a lot more straight forward. For example, you can see at a glance which inputs have been assigned to what. There is also a 9 band equaliser (which allows you to see what audyssey has applied) which helps in modifying the user defined profiles. There are also some options to provide further customisation of some of the DSP modes.

I would however reiterate that the SQ of the marantz is excellent and a massive step up from the denon both with music and HT, but particularly music. Build quality is an improvement also. I also like the option of using the USB (pen drive) for music.

Not sure if this helps! I did'nt get chance to listen to a Yamaha unfortunatley. I was put off by the opinions of the "Yamaha sound"

A

Anonymous

Dear Home Cinema Centre,

No news on your assessment of both amps yet?

TheRedArmy

A

Anonymous

Don't know if its useful, but I auditioned the Yamaha 863 against the Marantz and ended up going for the Marantz. I listen to everything from Folk to D&B and the Marantz with B&W 684 theatre speakers handles both beautifully, without ever sounding bright.

It was also really easy to set up: the 5.1. The Audessey setup worked very well for me, with only a couple of minor tweaks needed.

Only thing to note, the USB connection is next to useless -- the interface is slow, tracks appear in a random order, and it can only handle pretty small media. In the end I bought an Apple AirPort Express. Streaming lossless audio and using the digital out sounds perfect.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi sorry for the slow response, we are very busy in store and I just haven't had the time to type out a review.

Since the thread started we have demonstrated the RXV1900 and the SR6003 on several systems in the shop. Most of the comparisons were completed when the amps were connected to the Dali Motif's and the Tannoy Revolution Signature ( 6 and 4 ).

Keeping it brief the Marantz and the Yamaha are very evenly matched. I had expected the Yamaha to out perform the SR6003 with surround sound as the 1900 places effects very well and keeps dialogue clear - even in complex scenes - but the Marantz matches it. Running the systems at a decent volume both delivered clean accurate sound with a wide sound stage ( not all front and back ) but at the low volumes the Marantz still found the detail where the Yamaha perhaps demanded to be turned up.

Running the systems in stereo ( pure direct mode ) on Tannoy Revolution Signature 6's ( single wired ) the 1900 is clean and focussed with good pace and for an AV amplifier does a great job of stereo. The Yamaha amplifiers have always been musical with not too much attack to the sound and the 1900 follows from last years 1800. The Marantz excelled in stereo sounding more like an entry level Hi-fi amp than an AV amp trying to do stereo. Good levels of detail and rhythm but brought together as a complete sound rather lots of individual sounds.

Sorry to be so brief, there is so much ground to cover comparing these two and I am no reviewer. A demonstration will clear up the differences as itt is a really close call between the two. If you have to buy blind and focussing on sound rather than set up and facilities I would say the Marantz is my choice.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Hello All,

I've just started trying to compare the two receivers and it was a pleasant surprise to see that someone already beat me to it.

After reading through all the posts it looks like the Marantz is coming out on top sonically. Stereo reproduction is really important to me but my budget doesn't allow having a separate HiFi set of equipment, so I thought I should go for a receiver that would perform well enough in both HiFi and home theater.

I have been a long time Yamaha fan and especially the option to add presence speakers, I think they make a huge difference when it comes to movies.

This was the main reason I was leaning towards the Yamaha but now I am not sure which way to go.

I am curious to see what you guys think, I am not sure, is there a similar option of adding presence speakers with the Marantz? Do you think it is a strong enough reason to choose the Yamaha over the Marantz? Also, I have never been fond of all the DSP programs like disco and church and what not, but I find that the different movie theater programs Yamaha offers, like Sci-fi and spectacle, do make a difference.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts