Yamaha or Denon av receiver?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i said to myself i would buy the denon AVR-X2000 for some time now.

but i just seen the new range of yamaha receivers on their website but cant find the pricing anywhere. how much will these be around?

and now i question myself. do i go for a denon or a yamaha? it would have to be a 2013 model as the new ones will be too expensive i am guessing (£250-300 budget)

i dont need an av receiver which has good treble etc as i hear some can be bright at high volumes

i just want good connectivity (airplay, maybe wifi)

good picture quality

and good sound quality

with decent reliability

i can afford the following receivers:

denon avr-x2000

yamaha rxv-575 and rxv-675

onkyo txnr626

the onkyo doesnt have airplay which i will be using to play music from iphone..DLNA is useless as i only have an iphone. so i dont think i'll even consider this. but what are your thoughts of this avr?

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I tested the Yamaha RX-V675 and the Denon X-2000 next to eachother. The things I noticed:

- The X-2000 tended to sound much more bright when playing at high volumes, to the extent that it was unpleasant to listen to. Then again, the connected speakers were horn-loaded so this effect might be less present with other speakers. Still, the RX-V675 was smoother at high volumes.

- The Yamaha runs much hotter than the Denon, which might be something to think about when you will placing the receiver in a closed cabinet.

- The X-2000 is smaller than the RX-V675 (especially in depth). This might be an advantage for you.

- If you use spotify, the RX-V675 has spotify connect, for which there is no decent alternative on the X-2000.

- If you are planning on connecting a home cinema set, the Yamaha tends to drop dramatically in power output per channel when 5 channels are connected. This is less with the Denon. If you are only using 2 channels, this doesn't matter at all. (If you are planning in connecting a complete home theater system, I would aim for the Aventage series anyways).

All in all, I liked the RX-V675 more, because it sounded less bright.

As always, it would be best to be able to audition them with your speaker set.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Laurens_B said:
A couple of weeks ago I tested the Yamaha RX-V675 and the Denon X-2000 next to eachother. The things I noticed:

- The X-2000 tended to sound much more bright when playing at high volumes, to the extent that it was unpleasant to listen to. Then again, the connected speakers were horn-loaded so this effect might be less present with other speakers. Still, the RX-V675 was smoother at high volumes.

- The Yamaha runs much hotter than the Denon, which might be something to think about when you will placing the receiver in a closed cabinet.

- The X-2000 is smaller than the RX-V675 (especially in depth). This might be an advantage for you.

- If you use spotify, the RX-V675 has spotify connect, for which there is no decent alternative on the X-2000.

- If you are planning on connecting a home cinema set, the Yamaha tends to drop dramatically in power output per channel when 5 channels are connected. This is less with the Denon. If you are only using 2 channels, this doesn't matter at all. (If you are planning in connecting a complete home theater system, I would aim for the Aventage series anyways).

All in all, I liked the RX-V675 more, because it sounded less bright.

As always, it would be best to be able to audition them with your speaker set.

cant the denon's problem of sounding bright be solved by keeping the treble at +0? i always have my bass and treble boosted to +10 on my rcd-n8 music system. dont know if i will use any eq on a/v receivers. thats if they even have option to change the treble and bass volumes!

fitnessfun

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
What about the Marantz NR1420? It was ranked high here http://www.squidoo.com/best-av-receiver-for-the-money and it it under your budget.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Gospel to SlicedBread's comment :cheers: You want something you're going to enjoy getting on with straight out of the box.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts