Yamaha DSP-AX863SE and Tannoy SFX 5.1 Speakers (x2)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Just looking for your thoughts on the above amp speaker combo.

I was originally thinking of the SR606 with the MS Alumni Speakers and going 7.1 but the SR606 (Onkyo) has had some bad user reviews with hum  etc so like most since the What HiFi review I have been considering the Yammy which at £500 puts the MS Alumni (7.1 speakers) out of reach. However as the 863 can use two subs and also has presence speakers for the front I was thinking it would be better to buy two 5.1 surround packages and the SFX 5.1 set up is currently being sold for £150. So I could use all the speakers bar the spare centre.

What do you lot think of the Tannoys?

I'll be using a PS3 for Blu-Ray - A Apple Mac Mini (as an Apple TV unit) and sky (currently Standard but my upgrade to HD when Richersounds get the Sony W4500 in!)

Just to say I have an tv with the old prologic - so current surround is pritty rubbish! and I'm more interest in using the set up for Movies and Games.. So music in not a concern.

Your thought would be appreciated

Cheers

Steve 

A

Anonymous

I've got the older Tannoy FX5.1 set-up and I've been really pleased with how it sounds. I wanted to get a bigger speaker set-up, but this plan was veto'd by the interior designer as she didn't want the front room taken over with large speakers.

I'm sure something like the Kef Egg's would sound a lot better, but overall I've been really impressed with how the Tannoys sound.

I'm currently trying to decide if I upgrade my amp to an HD audio amp whether the Tannoy speakers are going to be good enough for me to notice an audible difference between standard DD/DTS and their HD equivalents.

A

Anonymous

I can see your 'designers' point of view our room is only some 4m square and so we would prefer small speakers (especially if we get the bigger tv). The MS Alumni were as big as I was looking to go (which were picked by my designer as she liked the look!) However changing tacked on the amp means theres not the funds for the Alumni 7.1 setup and although I know the kefs are good (if not a bit ugly in egg form) again the 7.1 setup gets pricey. To be fair even £800 is more then I wanted to blow.....but you know what it's like...LOL

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Ive got the onkyo 606 and had no problems sounds great, but with the deals around i would look at Sevenoaks deals you could get the Yamaha ax763se for £299 leaving £500 for speakers or they Have the Denon 1909 with Kefs 2005.3 for £899, savings of £250. If you like the the Denon you could get that for £299 At Richer Sounds, and if you like the Ms Alumni for £449 plus free 20 mtr's of Qed cable and sub cable, use the qed for rears and buy xt for front three. Laserline have these also free delivery. Hope this helps you. Me i would go for The Sevenoaks dealofkefs and Denon.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

will have a look at the other amps. though do like a lot of the features on the 863 ipod dock/bluetooth upgrade - scene mode (to make it easier for the family to use).

As for the speakers I would like something small - which I know were placing style over substance. It's a shame the Jamo A102 have such a small wattage limit as there very bose like at 10 cm square. And as were looking at doing the tv (her priority) if I got a cheaper set of speakers we could always upgrade them later.

ÿOh well have to see what Santa brings.... he's always good for a few quid!

:)ÿ

A

Anonymous

Everything you've mentioned is a feature on the cheaper and just as competant AX763. I have it and am well impressed - bought from Sevenoaks with Kef 2005.3's (with the excellent Kube 2 Sub) for £782.

You seem hooked on firing straight into 7.1, but without wanting to lay down the dosh. Could I suggest you go for a decent 5.1 package to start with (very few BD's even have 7.1 sound at the moment) and save for additional speakers at a later date? That's what I'll be doing - I'll eventually move my LR front Kef's out back and replace with something beefier (and more musical) up front.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts