Yamaha CD-S700 - thoughts?

matthewpiano

Obviously I'll audition this but I'm keen to get thoughts from the WHF team and other forum users.

I'm looking to permanently replace the KI Signature. Much as I love it, its a very old CD player to be depending on long term and, for the forseeable future, CD will remain my main source despite my dabbles with the Squeezebox.

I'm very interested in the Yamaha CD-S700. I'm looking for a slightly warmer sound than the Marantz and I want something that is well built and, mechanically as quiet as possible because I listen to quite a lot of classical music and I can't stand the chattering noise of some CD drives. I will be using it with my A400 and Quad 11Ls.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this combination or on alternatives to the Yamaha?

I am also thinking about the new Harman-Kardon HD980 at about the same price. I like the NAD CD players, but my C521BEE has been a bit temperemental at times and I don't want to take that route again.

I don't want to go second hand on this one. Musical taste covers a VAST range of stuff. Its vital that vocals, orchestral, piano, rock, and folk music all sound enjoyable. Future upgrade plans will be focused around my turntable. The speakers are here to stay. The A400 is also getting on, but I'd have to be very very impressed with something new to part with it.

A

Anonymous

Haven't heard the Yamaha, but I know the HK's predececessor, the 970, pretty well. It's a good player, too neutral for current UK taste, but detailed and precise. It's not an exciting sound, but if it's on the CD,.you hear it. I only sold mine because I wanted the SACD feature of the Marantz and have wondered several times how wise that move was.

Audio.de rates the HK above the Yamaha, if that's any help.

matthewpiano

Thanks Tarquinh - very helpful as ever.

I did have a HD970 for a while which I used with a Rotel RA-01. It was one of those bits of kit that I shouldn't have got rid of. I didn't realise how much I liked it until it wasn't there any more. That is what has got me wondering about the HD980.

Hi-fi seems to have got very expensive with all the recent price rises. It certainly makes you think more carefully about what to buy.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:Thanks Tarquinh - very helpful as ever.

I did have a HD970 for a while which I used with a Rotel RA-01. It was one of those bits of kit that I shouldn't have got rid of. I didn't realise how much I liked it until it wasn't there any more. That is what has got me wondering about the HD980.

Hi-fi seems to have got very expensive with all the recent price rises. It certainly makes you think more carefully about what to buy.

Must admit Matthew, were I looking for a new machine today, I'd be seeing what my £400 (I'm guessing that is your budget, or thereabouts?) would get me both new and used. Not a massive amount in that bracket in the current crop - older Marantz, Pioneer, etc. - outwith NAD and HK, but end of line options begin to appear here for formerly higher priced players. Used gear too obviously; I'd be eyeing up some independent dealers on the web, checking out their secondhand kit and making a few calls.

You're bound to get something that's going to tick the right boxes. See what the BADA Marketplace has on the go (Billy Vee offers a 1 year warranty in many cases for used kit - hoi, Billy, when's my flamin' commission coming through for all the good chat you get gratis off me on here!!!), Shadow Audio do some high end kit (McIntosh, Boulder, etc.) but get the odd wallet friendly items in and they're usually in fine order. OK, that's London and Glenrothes for you, but there's a stack of others out there and there's hopefully one or two within decent travelling time from your home.

Last but not least, there's always Gumtree - someone was selling off the Mrantz PM17 amp and its' CD sibling the other week in Edinburgh for around £400 each and near mint. Not bad given their original RRP, so deals can be had there too.

As for the Yam, not convinced by it; I think the amp is the better proposition, but that's based on three magazine reviews alone. They work pretty well together (the 700 series components I mean) but I'm not so sure the CD would hold up too well away from its' stablemate.

matthewpiano

Cheers RS. I'm really very wary of going second hand this time, even though I know there is very little choice at the budget end of the market at present. Ideally I'm topping out at £300, hence the Yamaha and HK being on the list. At this price I'm also looking at the Audiolab 8000CDE and something is telling me that despite my reservations I should also be looking at the newer NAD players for their musical performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts