Yamaha A2010 first impresions vs Arcam AVR280

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, it has been 3 hard days of wires and testings and, I really have mixed feelings. As a very short summary I find it very difficult to determine a clear winner.

Yamaha:

In general the experience is possitive so sorry if the comments may focus on the problematic areas more than on the possitive.

Cinema - Cinema experience seem more impressive and immersive specially using the 3D DSP modes. However, the sound is also a bit "artificial" and it could end up creating acoustic fatigue. I was watching an action movie on Monday and I had to put the volume all the way down towards the end because I could not bear it any longer. (I had the "adventure" DSP mode on).

Features - Has many more features than the old Arcam however, many that I will probably not use.

Genera sound - The sound in general tends to be a bit more harsh. I have the feeling that everything sounds more powerful but less detailed.

Music - Sounds more powerfull and dense but the detail and separation is not as good. The overall experience is acceptable but it definetly does not get the "WOW" factor. I used to think that the Arcam played quite well here and did good job in extracting the detail and specially avoiding artificial sound. This point regarding music is very important for me son unless I see changes in few days or find a way to overcome the issues, it could end up being determining.

Any similar experiences? Could it be that the Dali Ikon and Yamaha are not a good match? Could it be that the Yamaha still needs further run-in time (I am not a great believer of this for receivers to be honest)?

I only have 2 more days of trial before the return time expires. I see a lot of pottential in this receiver but just a few issues that make it hard to make a final decission. Any comments will be appreciated.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't use any of the DSP modes on my Yamaha. Prefer to use the Straight function.

PI think Arcams do 2ch particularly well, so that might be something that you can't improve on.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I have the Yamaha RX-A2010 in my kitchen (I need to update my signature) and the Yamaha RX-V1067 is now in my bedroom. On both machines I tend to prefer the Movie Spectacular DSP mode over Straight, though there's not a huge amount of difference.

One thing that you might just have time to try is to adjust parameters like room size, liveliness and reverberation time, page 99 of the manual.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I will have a look at that but to be honest I am more concerned about the music than the cinema. I have tested another movie yesterday and I have no doubt that the Yamaha is the winner here vs the Arcam.

The area I am struggling more is with music. It sounds good but I am having the feeling that I am going to miss the Arcam if I finally replace it. Yesterday I found a way to improve the sound via the manual 7 band equalizer which is a bit complex but it does help to improve the sound. I will continue today to adjust further to see if I can manage to get an acceptable music performance.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I had aYamaha before and those DSPs were irritating the hell out of me so I tended to use Normal for movies and 2 Channel stereo for music. The DSP was just too artificial for me. I moved to Harman Kardon and it doesnt have all those DSP modes and I dont miss them at all

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a Yamaha before and those DSPs were irritating the hell out of me so I tended to use Normal for movies and 2 Channel stereo for music. The DSP was just too artificial for me. I moved to Harman Kardon and it doesnt have all those DSP modes and I dont miss them at all

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a Yamaha before and those DSPs were irritating the hell out of me so I tended to use Normal for movies and 2 Channel stereo for music. The DSP was just too artificial for me. I moved to Harman Kardon and it doesnt have all those DSP modes and I dont miss them at all

A

Anonymous

re ive got the 2010 and a pair of focal 714v speakers. They pair well with the yamaha and ive never had too turn it down because i cant take it. but ive not used the arcam so i cant say about that. Any thing youd like to ask plz do.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
One thing that you might just have time to try is to adjust parameters like room size, liveliness and reverberation time, page 99 of the manual.

I rarely use any DSP modes but the size, liveliness & reverb etc seems to be a minefield of complexity. Any tips Son-of-SJ ?

Cheers

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Well not really, apart from measuring things like your room size and inputting them into the setup section. You can experiment with the the other parameters that I mentioned earlier, and others. You can always revert to the defaults if adjustments make no improvements. In my kitchen the parameters that I use for the Movie Spectacle mode are: DSP level 0dB; Intial delay 14ms; Room Size 1.0; Surround Intial Delay 31ms; Surround Room Size 1.0; Surround Back Initial Delay 14ms, Surround Back Room Size 1.0. You will notice that I have changed a few of these from the default values, but that's what seemed right to me, in a kitchen that measures 17' by 14' by 7'6". In another few weeks I might run the YMPAO calibration again and change some of these parameters.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
ah the Yamaha sound...always a bit rough around the edges |( play a bit with the equalizer and maybe you can get used to it.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
ear said:
ah the Yamaha sound...always a bit rough around the edges |( play a bit with the equalizer and maybe you can get used to it.

Clearly not a Yammy fan then? I never use any EQ settings and I am very satisfied with the sound. Hate to mention the 'room treatment' phrase again but I do feel that this is key to allowing the electronics & speakers to do what it does best - pass the source with as little 'noise' as possible.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
why not get a marantz av amp.. best of both worlds. very good with 2 channel muzic Sr7007. The current wave of marantz Av amps are very smooth sounding if thats what ur looking 4.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you are probably right. Actually, before I purchased the A2010, I was between this and the Marantz SR7005. The reason I choose A2010 over the Marantz was the reviews in this magazine. The A1010 has received 5 stars while the SR7005 only 4. I still believe that the Marantz was underated and that it probably sounds better specially with music. After the last 2 weeks of testing I am finally convinced that the move from the Arcam to this receiver was a mistake. It is like a big toy with lots of features and buttons but, in turns of pure sound it does not quite match up against the Arcam.

I have the feeling that in the past 10 years, the receivers have improved a lot on features but still at the expense of sound. These companies do not listen to the customers. I will have to keep it for some time but I will probably end up selling it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rendu said:
After the last 2 weeks of testing I am finally convinced that the move from the Arcam to this receiver was a mistake. It is like a big toy with lots of features and buttons but, in turns of pure sound it does not quite match up against the Arcam.

This is exactly what I find (for my taste), and I have yet to hear another brand of AV amp that would make it inside my door....though tbf I haven't heard Marantz.

My overriding priority is it's ability with two channel, and this for me translates into the type of AV presentation that I prefer. I had an Arcam AVR350 which was excellent, but the AVR600 is in another league.

In case it's of interest, I see Arcam have the AVR360 available (haven't heard it though): http://www.hifix.co.uk/home-cinema-amplifiers/arcam/fmj-avr360.html

EDIT. Found this review: http://www.hometheater.com/content/arcam-avr360-av-receiver

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the links, unfortunately right now it is a done deal and I can not return the Yamaha. I do not want to sound too negative because it is not a bad amp after all but, I just wished that the companies would focus more on sound in their line up products not so much in bells and wishels. Who needs 9 channels of amplification and 2 sub pre-outs ¿?¿?¿ Do they think that we are going to set up a cinema for the whole neiboughood? Even in terms of features I have the feeling that, they are always 2 steps behind, when people used to listen to MP3, they did not have USB or ethernet. Now that music trends are more into spotify, music unlimited, rdio and bluetooth oriented, they all come with USB and ethernet but not with these features.... not even with Wi-Fi... always 2 steps behind from the reality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts