YAMAHA A-S500, ONKYO A-9010 OR MARANTZ PM5005???

lour41

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Hello to everyone!!
I 'm new to the vinyl and I 'm between those three amps for my entry level setup. I can get each one of them for the same amount of money. The rest of my setup consists of a project primary e and dali spector 2. So which one do you propose in order to get the maximum from my setup and enjoy the vinyl sound???

Thanks!!

Gray

From what point of view??
Purely on my own experience of the phono stage in my PM66KI amp.
It's true that part of the KI enhancement was the upgrading of a few critical components in the phono preamp - and the 5005 is not a KI version.
However, it is a more recent model, so I can't imagine its phono stage being much worse than mine.
I haven't heard either the Yamaha or the Onkyo, it's possible that they could be at least as good, but on vinyl (and with its sound in general) I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Marantz.

Reactions: lour41

lour41

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Purely on my own experience of the phono stage in my PM66KI amp.
It's true that part of the KI enhancement was the upgrading of a few critical components in the phono preamp - and the 5005 is not a KI version.
However, it is a more recent model, so I can't imagine its phono stage being much worse than mine.
I haven't heard either the Yamaha or the Onkyo, it's possible that they could be at least as good, but on vinyl (and with its sound in general) I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Marantz.
Thanks a lot!!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Yamaha because it was released to acclaim but at a higher price point to the other two, so I'm guessing it's wow factor criteria would have been stricter. I like marantz personally. I'd doubt any of them are a bad choice at their price point

Gray

Thanks a lot!!
In the interests of balance, there's one possible issue in favour of the Onkyo.
If you can still buy it new (it was discontinued in one place I looked) then you would get at least a year's guarantee.

I don't know about the Yamaha, but the Marantz would be a secondhand buy wouldn't it?
Just have a look at the following thread, because it's typical of the issues that can arise after some amps have clocked up a few years.
On this forum, there have been more reports of such problems with Marantz amps - but that might just be because of their popularity.
Not the end of the world, as you will see, but you just need to be aware:

Reactions: lour41

lour41

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
In the interests of balance, there's one possible issue in favour of the Onkyo.
If you can still buy it new (it was discontinued in one place I looked) then you would get at least a year's guarantee.

I don't know about the Yamaha, but the Marantz would be a secondhand buy wouldn't it?
Just have a look at the following thread, because it's typical of the issues that can arise after some amps have clocked up a few years.
On this forum, there have been more reports of such problems with Marantz amps - but that might just be because of their popularity.
Not the end of the world, as you will see, but you just need to be aware:
Onkyo is second hand with no guarantee. The Marantz is also second hand but it comes with a two year guarantee. I have checked for possible problems for each one of them and none is clear. I guess it is common with entry-level amps to cope with some building problems.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts