YAMAHA A-S 2100

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
seemorebtts said:
After listening to black Sabbath's Yamaha yesterday i was very impressed.very balanced amp and i think he got the pairing right too with the Dali's
I reckon the A-S2100 is the sweet spot in the current range, as it is similar to the 3000 on test, but significantly less expensive.
and if you know were to look you could buy A-S2100 £1200-£1300 open box or refurbished which I think is a bargain for a amplifier of this quality not just because I own one but it's the truth .

even though I do like the A-S3000 but just could not afford the price tag maybe one day when the price drops to a more affordable level.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Blacksabbath25

read your topic with great interest as I am seriosuly considering the A-S2100 to go with my new Heco Direkt. I changed to Direkt from Wharfedale Jade5. They work really well with my current setup but I find the Audiolab 8200M having too much control and being too clean for the Direkt which are already lively speakers. The sound is very good though, very "direkt'' if I may say that, with amazing detail, speed, slam and soundstage. most of other speakers sound lifeless now. Not a clinical sound but my guess is that they need a warm, full bodied amplifier. The technical support at Heco is of the same opinion. I wrote them and they said a warmer, more laid back amp; something in the category of Marantz PM8005 or a NAD 375BEE would be a good choice.

I tried a Marantz PM7005 and the sound was awful, very recessed and lacking bass, detail etc. I believe PM8005 might have a completely different sound but no chance to audition. It is the same with A-S2100, no chance to audition them with my speakers and I was wondering if it can be a good match for a lively speaker as the Direkt.

beside that, i love the looks and the build quality of th A-S2100.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bebelacus said:
Hi, Blacksabbath25

read your topic with great interest as I am seriosuly considering the A-S2100 to go with my new Heco Direkt. I changed to Direkt from Wharfedale Jade5. They work really well with my current setup but I find the Audiolab 8200M having too much control and being too clean for the Direkt which are already lively speakers. The sound is very good though, very "direkt'' if I may say that, with amazing detail, speed, slam and soundstage. most of other speakers sound lifeless now. Not a clinical sound but my guess is that they need a warm, full bodied amplifier. The technical support at Heco is of the same opinion. I wrote them and they said a warmer, more laid back amp; something in the category of Marantz PM8005 or a NAD 375BEE would be a good choice.

I tried a Marantz PM7005 and the sound was awful, very recessed and lacking bass, detail etc. I believe PM8005 might have a completely different sound but no chance to audition. It is the same with A-S2100, no chance to audition them with my speakers and I was wondering if it can be a good match for a lively speaker as the Direkt.

beside that, i love the looks and the build quality of th A-S2100.
hi I personally not had any experience with Direkt speakers so do not no what they are like

I use Dali opticon 8s which are large floor standing speakers which are a 4ohm speaker which can give some good well controlled bass which the Yamaha A-S2100 is very good at controlling them .

The A-S2100 is a natural sounding amplifier that sounds clean , detailed and instruments sound like they should do and like I’ve said before build quality is outstanding it a amplifier for life .

I used to own the Marantz PM8005 it’s good but nothing like the A-S2100 the A-S2100 is loads better more refinement

but I can’t promise you that you will like it as you use a different kind of speaker to me and your taste is your taste but it is a very good amplifier .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Surely high sensitivity speakers like the Heco in question are shouting for a valve amplifier.

My guess is not many Solid Staters will sound great with those plus why would you need all that power?

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Surely high sensitivity speakers like the Heco in question are shouting for a valve amplifier.

My guess is not many Solid Staters will sound great with those plus why would you need all that power?

yes, a valve amp is part of the future plans. Heco says their head of research uses a transistor amp for his Direkt but they wouldn't say which one:)

too much power is not really necessary, I guess, but quality power and a warmer sound. Although I have the Spendors which I use quite often and they need a bit of power in my large room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts