XTZ AP-100 power amp

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but I'm familiar with a Class A sound and have read a fair bit about this amp.

I think it is taking you away from your original brief of "Neutral and Transparent".

I believe it gives a lively "full bodied" sound (with a darker treble), at the expense of ultimate detail, resolution and power usage (worth bearing in mind).

It is good value though.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi fellas, i have been looking at the xtz integrated for a while now and the brand seems to be extremely good value, the build facilities etc. I think another well known.hifi mag reviewed th power amp and gave it a good rating so its probably well worth a look. I think you can have one on a three week trial and send it.back so not much to loose barring the postage of which youd probably spend on petrol trolling around to demos anyway.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
I haven't tried it, but I'm familiar with a Class A sound and have read a fair bit about this amp.

I think it is taking you away from your original brief of "Neutral and Transparent".

I believe it gives a lively "full bodied" sound (with a darker treble), at the expense of ultimate detail, resolution and power usage (worth bearing in mind).

It is good value though.

Hm, I read a review stating this:

"The Class-AP100 doesn't quite get as much out of these discs as some we've heard. Despite that, it presents the music both plausibly and attractively. In other recordings and repertoire, it preserves those qualities consistently and avoids many of the pitfalls of other budget separates, including significantly the issue of coloration."

That sounds like it's a neutral-sounding amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hbuus said:
Hm, I read a review stating this:

"The Class-AP100 doesn't quite get as much out of these discs as some we've heard. Despite that, it presents the music both plausibly and attractively. In other recordings and repertoire, it preserves those qualities consistently and avoids many of the pitfalls of other budget separates, including significantly the issue of coloration."[/b]

That sounds like it's a neutral-sounding amp.

You have just hit on the problem.....which is the subjectivity of this whole thing ie. What does neutrality actually sound like, how do you describe it and what equipment actually achieves it ?

Due to the difficulty of this, the best thing to do if interested, is to take them up on the home trial, and see if you like it.

Here is a good description of the up/down side of neutrality, by someone talking about ATC SCM-11, one of the most neutral speakers you can buy for the money (post 2): http://www.stereophile.com/content/proac-speakers-1

FWIW I think the Bel Canto is strictly more neutral, but it is more expensive (which is not an indication of neutrality).

A

Anonymous

Yes, it's subjective, unfortunately.

That makes it hard to judge equipment based on reviews and thus leaves you to test for yourself, just as you say.

With respect to the AP-100 it will be too expensive for me to get one home to test.

Here in Denmark only companies can send packages weighting above 20 kg's, which the XTZ does.

So I'll have to make contract with a truck in order to send it back.

It's nuts, but that's how it is :)

I just found out there is a new Bel Canto dealer here in Denmark.

The one mentioned on Bel Canto's homepage hasn't updated their BC price list on their homepage since 2009 :)

Not exactly a place I'd like to shop.

But this new dealer looks much better.

I'll try and contact them.

I'm still interested in hearing about the XTZ AP-100, though.

If anyone has tried it, I'd appreciate any info you might have on it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hbuus said:
I just found out there is a new Bel Canto dealer here in Denmark.

The one mentioned on Bel Canto's homepage hasn't updated their BC price list on their homepage since 2009 :)

Not exactly a place I'd like to shop.

But this new dealer looks much better.

I'll try and contact them.

I'm still interested in hearing about the XTZ AP-100, though.

If anyone has tried it, I'd appreciate any info you might have on it.

At least you should get to hear the Bel Canto.

The only very small reservation I have about the XTZ, is one of synergy with Dynaudio.....ie. You could be matching a full sounding amp with a slightly dark treble, to a speaker of a similar character. The resulting sound "might" be too warm for your taste. Bel Canto should be a good match with Dynaudio.

Please let us know how you get on.

Cno

Edit. There was a guy on here who had the XTZ Integrated version for a while, but returned it.

A

Anonymous

It's quite possible the XTZ is a little too warm for my taste.

In fact another person has warned me about that on a Danish forum.

I'm really picky about maintaining a neutral sound too - had some Rega RS 5 loudspeakers at home for trial before settling on the Dynaudio's, but returned the RS 5's because they colored the sound every so slightly.

So transparency and neutrality is important to me.

I've put the two Bel Cantos on my list of amps I'd like to hear.

Those along with the Quad 909 and a Cyrus 8 Power.

I need to save up a bit more before I can make a purchase, though.

But I'll post here how it goes.

Thanks for the comments so far :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Edit. There was a guy on here who had the XTZ Integrated version for a while, but returned it.

I have finally tracked down who owned one - it was Hans Mouridsen:

Got it here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-mcr603-vs-pm6003-amp-side?page=2

Got rid of it here: (giving reasons): http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/just-bought-a-new-amp-at-110-punds

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hbuus said:
Those along with the Quad 909 and a Cyrus 8 Power.

I need to save up a bit more before I can make a purchase, though.

But I'll post here how it goes.

Thanks for the comments so far :)

IMO. The Quad 909 is on the warm side of neutral......but it is good.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:

I have finally tracked down who owned one - it was Hans Mouridsen:

Got it here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-mcr603-vs-pm6003-amp-side?page=2

Got rid of it here: (giving reasons): http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/just-bought-a-new-amp-at-110-punds

That's very helpful! Thank you, CnoEvil :)

I just realize that the AP-100 is close to 47 cm. deep! :O

That won't work in my setup, so case is closed....

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:

Ok, might not be for me after all then. Thanks.

I'll e-mail a dealer here in Denmark about it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hbuus said:
CnoEvil said:

Ok, might not be for me after all then. Thanks.

I'll e-mail a dealer here in Denmark about it.

This is best, as I like people to check things out for themselves and not take my word as gospel.....in case they miss out.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have just read your post. I have a pair of XTZ Divine 100.49 speakers and have powered them with an XTZ AP-100 power amp each and the sound is phenominal. I first saw this brand at the Bristol Audio show earlier this year and thought they stood out. I did some research and eventually purchased my XTZ system. I can honestly say I have been impressed since I first set the system up and it only gets better the more I run it. And for value, you would have to go a lot further to get this kind of sound.

This is just my personal view but afetr seeing the post I thought I should say my bit.

Darren.

A

Anonymous

Hi Darren, thanks for your input.

I'm glad you like your setup :)

Having looked at the dimensions of the AP-100, I'm afraid I will have a hard time fitting it into my setup, however.

It's almost 47 cm. deep, which is too much for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts