XLR Female to RCA Male Interconnect

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Just received an offer w/ a bargain price for a pair of 1st generation Chord Indigo XLR to RCA interconnect, seems like a very good offer as my Audiolab 8200CD has an XLR output but my 8200P only has RCA input.

Questions are:

1. Am I going to get the full (or at least half) advantages of XLR connection with it?

2. Will it be a significant increases in sound quality with Indigo replacing my Chorus Reference RCA interconnect?

3. How to replace the Chord's RCA end with better RCA plug i.e. from WBT? This Indigo was 1st generation & the oxidation on the RCA end is very bad (black color instead of silver).

Dave S.

J

jcbrum

dsuciato said:
Just received an offer w/ a bargain price for a pair of 1st generation Chord Indigo XLR to RCA interconnect, seems like a very good offer as my Audiolab 8200CD has an XLR output but my 8200P only has RCA input.

Questions are:

1. Am I going to get the full (or at least half) advantages of XLR connection with it?
No, because XLR connectors are designed to carry a balanced signal, which is not availabe from RCA connectors.
dsuciato said:
2. Will it be a significant increases in sound quality with Indigo replacing my Chorus Reference RCA interconnect?
Not unless your Reference RCA interconnect is defective, or unfit for purpose, in some way.
dsuciato said:
3. How to replace the Chord's RCA end with better RCA plug i.e. from WBT? This Indigo was 1st generation & the oxidation on the RCA end is very bad (black color instead of silver).
Silver oxide is said to be electrically conductive, but personally I would replace the cable with a new one.JC

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
jcbrum said:
dsuciato said:

Questions are:

No, because XLR connectors are designed to carry a balanced signal, which is not availabe from RCA connectors.
dsuciato said:
Not unless your Reference RCA interconnect is defective, or unfit for purpose, in some way.
dsuciato said:
Silver oxide is said to be electrically conductive, but personally I would replace the cable with a new one.JCThank you JC for the inputs.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
dsuciato said:
jcbrum said:
dsuciato said:

Questions are:

dsuciato said:
dsuciato said:
Silver oxide is said to be electrically conductive, but personally I would replace the cable with a new one.JCThank you JC for the inputs.

Thank you JC for the inputs.

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
There is a possibility you could send them back to Chord and have XLR added to the other end, im no expert but I have spoken to the Chord 'cable doctor' on occassion and their advice is top notch.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
audiodarkness said:
There is a possibility you could send them back to Chord and have XLR added to the other end, im no expert but I have spoken to the Chord 'cable doctor' on occassion and their advice is top notch.

I sent an email without any feedback. I also sent them an email regarding the hum from my Chorus Reference & no answer as well, they might just don't give a S***!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
audiodarkness said:

I'd keep the cable you have and leave it at that.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
audiodarkness said:

The reason I'm interested with the Indigo XLR to RCA is my Chorus Reference produces noise & hum also the bargain price. I already checked & yes the hum was coming from the interconnect. Sent an email to Nigel of Chord without any feedback.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
dsuciato said:
Overdose said:
audiodarkness said:

The reason I'm interested with the Indigo XLR to RCA is my Chorus Reference produces noise & hum also the bargain price. I already checked & yes the hum was coming from the interconnect. Sent an email to Nigel of Chord without any feedback.

If the cable causes a problem then a new one may be needed, but you would probably be able to remake the connections yourself or give it to an electronic repair shop. I suspect that the connectors unscrew and come apart for repair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts