XLPS V8 - The Human League, Reproduction

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I've just upgraded my phono stage to the MF XLPS V8 from a basic Pro-Ject. One of my first listens was The Human League's Reproduction, and I'm amazed at the stuff being picked up. The reason I listened to this first was because I've heard it so many times I would immediately recognise any improvement, however, I never expected the extra detail that's now evident.

For those who know the album, I've actually heard a line I've never heard before. It really isn't that important, but just before The Path of Least Resistance someone says 'knit one, pearl one'. I've never heard this before, and although it doesn't make any difference to the song itself, it is just an example of what this phono stage is digging up.

I've listened to a lot of my old vinyl over the last month, and it is a revelation. The 12" of She's Lost Control by Joy Division is absolutely amazing, and all my Kraftwerk is just astounding. Now thinking of upgrading the stylus sometime later this year (currently Ortofon Samba). This upgrading thing is really addictive.................

System: Kenwood KD8030 (very old turntable, but love it), MF XLPS V8, MF XT-100, MF XRay V8 CD, PS Audio DAC, Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amp, Sennheisser HD650, B&W CM5.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Malg,

I've got the same phono stage as yourself and like you say it is a wonderful thing. Mine was an upgrade from the entry level Graham Slee amp, and the differences are hugely noticeable.

My current favourites are Sandinista by The Clash, which sounds so much better on vinyl than it does CD. Must be all those dub stylings, they work so much better on the flat black. For sheer sonic superiority my other three current vinyl blasts are: Led Zep II, Neil Young's debut album and The Dreaming by Kate Bush.

As a side note, I used to have the 12inch of Being Boiled or Dignity Of Labour by The Human League. It got purloined by somebody along the way though. Shame, would love to hear it now.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Charlie,

It is amazing how much improvement there is with this upgrade. I'm still going through some of my old stuff and loving it. Shame about the 12" of Being Boiled going missing as it is a belter. I've lost a lot of good vinyl by loaning it out to mates, who then moved and forgot (!) to return it. I had the 12" of She's Lost Sanctuary, which is a great 12", that went missing, along with The Message and also a great 12" by The Stockholm Monsters. Lesson is to not lend your kit out, but we're all guilty of trying to get our mates to enjoy the same stuff as we do.

TRENDING THREADS