Xbox 360 - Not looking like HD

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi All.

Firstly Happy New Year All!

I finally got my Onkyo 606 setup (My 1st ever receiver) until Saturday (Going to RS) its setup with some old stereo speakers hehe)

My TV is a Samsung LE37S73BD[R] which annoyingly only has 1 HDMI port =(

The current setup

PS3 > Onkyo 606 > HDMI
Wii > Onkyo 606 > Composite Video/Stereo Leads
Onkyo 606 > TV > HDMI

My question is when I connect my Xbox 360 to the Onkyo via component (6 coloured leads) the picture quality is MUCH lower then it is if I connect the 360 directly to my TV the same way.. Why would this be? (I have an old Xbox360 without the HD cable)

Also I tried to play Transformers on blu ray last night on my PS3 and when it started it went to a screen that said “Loading” for at least 15/20 minutes has anyone else had this problem with this movie ? All I could think of it could be something to do with Blu-Ray Live

Thanks in advance

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Strange one - two things I can think of:

1. Have you accidentally knocked the switch on the component cable back from HDTV to TV when plugged into the Onkyo? I know it sounds silly but it's happened to me a couple of times and I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what's wrong!

2. If this is okay, when connected to the Onkyo, go into the settings and ensure the Xbox is still outputting at 720p / 1080i / 1080p (whichever you have it normally set to). Possibly when it's hooked to the Onkyo, it's resetting itself to 576p or a lower resolution for some reason.

Didn't have an issue on my PS3 with Transformers - are you patched up to the latest firmware and does it have an internet connection? If so, you shouldn't get any issues with BD Live as the PS3 is a profile 2.0 machine.

A

Anonymous

This may sound silly too - but you say six coloured leads - you should only have the red, green, blue, red and white connected. Five in total!

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Dont think it can be the switch on the cable as when I change the cables back to the TV the picture is back to HD standards.

Lets say the setting were reset to 576p when I connected it to the Onkyo would the Xbox be intelligent enough to change the setting back to 1080i when reconnected to the TV?

Sorry Bluuny there is also the yellow connector for composite video (which isnt connected)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oxigin:Lets say the setting were reset to 576p when I connected it to the Onkyo would the Xbox be intelligent enough to change the setting back to 1080i when reconnected to the TV?

Possibly, I'm not sure - this is why it's worth having a look. It might not be this, just the only two things I can think of off the top of my head.

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks professorhat ill have a look tonight when I get home, Oh on the PS3 front yeah fully updated as I checked that last night and it has a internet connect as I went into the playstation store just to double check =/ Its a very odd one, Really not sure what it could be

A

Anonymous

Hi, is there any benefit plugging the component cables into the amp, does it upscale it or something? I dont have the onkyo 606 but i just plug the composite cable direct to the TV and have an optical cable to the amp for sound. Picture and sound both good this way

A

Anonymous

Hi my ps3 did the same thing the other night when loading for some reason but i went back to the main menu played the disc and it worked was strange.

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi j_fowler, Its quite annoying beacuse my TV doesnt automatically switch over to the "Turned on" input so rather then being able to leave it on HDMI im having to switch the TV between Comp and HDMI

More so there shouldnt be any difference between being connected to the TV or the Onkyo =/

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Huh didnt know that ! Im very new to this sort of thing... If you hadnt guessed!

It doesnt seem to work for my Scarts or HDMIs so I guess its also the TV?

A

Anonymous

Sorry If I am repeating someones statement - havent much time in my break to read everything.
With regards to the Transformers disc, it takes so long initially loading as it is installing something on the PS3 [Whatever it is installing is located in the VIDEO section of the PS3 Menu, and in the Folder - BD DATA UTILITY]. After the 1st load, it doesnt take that long 2nd time round. And the 3rd time round......and if your like me and rate it as one of the best movies of 2008, (bar THE DARK KNIGHT)...the 100th time round etc. :p

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Ahh thanks Vinny no that question hadnt been answered ! I did wonder why it was taking so long ! There should be some kind of warning about that as I was going to send it back !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts