Would you end the race if time was on your side

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Scenario :

You come across a amp or a speaker that you love, but is at the very upper echelons of your reach. You believe it is the end game for you . And you could actually get it with a bit of a stretch. But you know you wouldn't have the budget to upgrade from it. In effect this will be the greatest hifi of your life. If time was on your side, would you buy it and end the chase. Or would you rather buy something inferior within your comfort zone and keep the game going .....

jjbomber

newlash09 said:
Scenario :

You come across a amp or a speaker that you love, but is at the very upper echelons of your reach. You believe it is the end game for you . And you could actually get it with a bit of a stretch. But you know you wouldn't have the budget to upgrade from it. In effect this will be the greatest hifi of your life. If time was on your side, would you buy it and end the chase. Or would you rather buy something inferior within your comfort zone and keep the game going .....

Buy it. No point having dreams unless you can make them come true.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
On the one hand: buy once, buy right.

On the other it's only hi-fi. Save your money for something else.

Coming back to the first hand. There's the time factor. Just buy the thing and be done with it. And get on with the rest of your life.

I earn next to fek all money...so everything I buy...hi-fi wise is a stretch and money I should really be spending on something else.....like a camera or telescope or new mountain bike or hill walking gear......jese...I've got to many hobbies.lol.

Oh and isn't half the fun.....in the chase.

But if I had the cash I'd probably buy it....but it's in my nature even then to be dissatisfied and I'd still lust after something else.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I earn next to fek all money...so everything I buy...hi-fi wise is a stretch and money I should really be spending on something else.....like a camera or telescope or new mountain bike or hill walking gear......jese...I've got to many hobbies.lol.

Oh and isn't half the fun.....in the chase.

But if I had the cash I'd probably buy it....but it's in my nature even then to be dissatisfied and I'd still lust after something else.

Contentment for me , is a temporary state of mind, that only lasts till funds become available :)

D

Deleted member 108165

The chase doesn't interest me at all, potential for too many mistakes along the way. Just buy it and be done with it. Problem with my ultimate system is I'm torn between actives and a flagship amp. Currently I'm quite happy in my little ignorant bubble *smile*

insider9

Would you end the race? What race? Are audiophiles a race now? Are you threatening with nuclear holocaust to all of use if we don't behave? :)

But seriously don't get yourself in a serious debt. It's just a hobby. However, if you can swing it then do it. It will have to be a serious piece of kit to stop your upgraditis though.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Would you end the race? What race? Are audiophiles a race now? Are you threatening with nuclear holocaust to all of use if we don't behave? :)

But seriously don't get yourself in a serious debt. It's just a hobby. However, if you can swing it then do it. It will have to be a serious piece of kit to stop your upgraditis though.

As the saying goes ' the hunt is more thrilling than the kill'. Just the thought that I'd have to stick with what I buy next for a very considerable period of time, atleast till something breaks , sounds a little unexciting. But got everyone's drift here....will not hold back my decision if possible to get the best I can afford, if the opportunity presented itself. Thanks all :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have done actually that I brought the Yamaha A-S3000 it was out of my price range as I couldn’t afford to hand over £4000 just like that so borrowed the money to do it interest free credit which is good as I laid a big deposit and just pay the balance interest free and I got my end game amplifier that way .

Then I will pay the amplifier off and then buy some top speakers the same way it’s the only way to do it

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I have done actually that I brought the Yamaha A-S3000 it was out of my price range as I couldn’t afford to hand over £4000 just like that so borrowed the money to do it interest free credit which is good as I laid a big deposit and just pay the balance interest free and I got my end game amplifier that way .

Then I will pay the amplifier off and then buy some top speakers the same way it’s the only way to do it 

For me blacksabbath. And I was really thinking of you, when I started the above post. I was honestly surprised when you plonked serious money for the Yamaha AS3000. And it made it all the more surprising because you wanted to retain the 2100. You were so sure that you wanted to stay invested in the Yamaha sound.

I could have just added a parasound A21 to the integrated and called it a day. But I think I'd like my upgrades to sound different each time . And hence my lingering doubts about investing big money for that end game product so early in life, and living with the same sound for a eternity. No matter how good it sounds, Iam always hankering for change :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Buy what you really want, don't put up with other stuff because it's cheaper, buy once and keep it for donkeys years, otherwise you will be changing gear all the time. Keeping the game going will cost you more money.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Buy what you really want, don't put up with other stuff because it's cheaper, buy once and keep it for donkeys years, otherwise you will be  changing gear all the time. Keeping the game going will cost you more money.

Certainly cheaper on the long run to spend wisely and better the first time around

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Good thread.

I certainly think with the Accuphase I may well have found my final amp, as a step up is way out of my price range and not interested in any other brand.

Possibly the same with speakers, but never say never.

If you can afford to buy that special piece of kit and you're not hurting anyone else, go for it.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
BigH said:
Buy what you really want, don't put up with other stuff because it's cheaper, buy once and keep it for donkeys years, otherwise you will be changing gear all the time. Keeping the game going will cost you more money.

Certainly cheaper on the long run to spend wisely and better the first time around
The trouble is Newlash not everyone can just go out there and buy the most expensive thing they can get there hands on at the time as everyone’s position is different I no I couldn’t afford the best amplifier in the world when I first started all thoses years ago it’s what you can afford back then it really simple as that as life comes first before anything else .

And there is nothing wrong in a Marantz PM6006 or an old amplifier of eBay for £50 everyone has to start somewhere in this expensive hobby but buying the best doesn’t always give you what you think and try and not get hooked up on the price just because a amplifier is £8500 doesn’t mean it will sound like £8500 amplifier as there are lots of cheaper amplifiers that will sound just as good and that goes for speakers as well .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
... just because a amplifier is £8500 doesn’t mean it will sound like £8500 amplifier as there are lots of cheaper amplifiers that will sound just as good and that goes for speakers as well .

I would put that slightly differently ie. Just because an amp costs 8.5k, doesn't mean you'll like it (same with speakers). Mostly I have been able to hear where the money went on an expensive gear, even if I didn't like it.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
But did it. Tag amps and MA speakers have served me for a long time, still impressed. Bought a new "front end" in the Oppo player which keeps things sort of up to date.

Quality always counts, and often lasts. I'm expecting BS to be playing his Yamaha in 10 years time.

A bit of care in selection helps. It looks to me like source components are something that may well change on a regular basis, but good amps and speakers can last you a long time.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
BigH said:

The trouble is Newlash not everyone can just go out there and buy the most expensive thing they can get there hands on at the time as everyone’s position is different I no I couldn’t afford the best amplifier in the world when I first started all thoses years ago it’s what you can afford back then it really simple as that as life comes first before anything else .

And there is nothing wrong in a Marantz PM6006 or an old amplifier of eBay for £50 everyone has to start somewhere in this expensive hobby but buying the best doesn’t always give you what you think and try and not get hooked up on the price just because a amplifier is £8500 doesn’t mean it will sound like £8500 amplifier as there are lots of cheaper amplifiers that will sound just as good and that goes for speakers as well .

I agree not everyone can afford expensive gear, in which case choose the best quality you can, consider used and then wait until you can afford something much better. There is too much box swapping for very little gain. As said in another post there are good systems around for about £1,000. If I had my time again I would buy more used hifi.

TRENDING THREADS