Would you ask for a replacement for a little dint in new speakers?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Had some new kit the other day. Included were Concept 20 speakers. I was just sitting listening to 'Kind of Blue' and spotted a little light reflection on the left speaker. Could see immediately there was a little dint in the panel above the tweeter. Now I've spotted it I can't take my eyes off it. My partner thinks it is so small I shouldn't worry but I'm afraid I don't quite think like that so it would bug me knowing it was there, being as they are new speakers, and when it comes to selling them on if I noticed it then someone else would too. What do think? Send them back for a replacement?

Picture attached (hopefully).

69yz.jpg

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks both. I'll just have to run a new pair in, but I'd rather that than have to look at it...unlike 'her' on the other side. So that is what I shall do then, arrange to send them back for replacement, well after the BH weekend has concluded of course. Oh well, such is life.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've always listened with grills off. Thought that was generally considered the preferred way? The grilles on my 751s only got put back on about twice in 20+ years. Not a mark on them.

SiUK said:
I've always listened with grills off. Thought that was generally considered the preferred way? The grilles on my 751s only got put back on about twice in 20+ years. Not a mark on them.

It's not necessarily the way. Some speakers are specifically designed to be used with the grilles in place at all times.

Guess it is very much a case of 'suck it and see' in the majority of cases.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Use the covers. As long as the tweeters are fine.

Brilliant advice ( huge amount of sarcasm intended ). Jeez the guy has only just noticed it and has owned them for five minutes ffs.

BigH has a slight ding in his brand new motor what should he do.

Ah rub a bit of mud on it nobody will notice.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Not even sure why this needs discussion.

Even a small dent / ding can indicate the thing was accidentally bashed or dropped during some stage of assembly and so there might also be other (unseen) defects or something loosened / slightly 'out of whack' inside as a result.

At the very least, you didn't pay less for 'cosmetic seconds' but that's what you've got. (It would bug the hell out of me.)

Make sure you inspect the new pair you get (in exchange) before leaving the shop with them.

You could always keep them but ask for a big discount on their dedicated stands. Just a thought.

However, as concerned as you appear to be, maybe it's just best to ask for a replacement pair.

You go not say whether these we from a dealer or bought over the internet but, as chebby says, give them a good once over before accepting them.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Speakers returned and replaced by PT without any quibbling. Peter Tyson have been brilliant to deal with. Can't recommend them enough for aftersales service. But unbelievably on checking the new set one ruddy speaker has a visible scuff on the front panel around the edge of the 8" speaker. Its on the metal fascia IOW. This time my wife spotted it before me. Again, the scuff is small, but not minute - and sitting in the listening seat you'd be hard pushed to spot it - but how did it get there? It's b****y new? Really can't face any more returning and replacing of stuff at the moment so going to keep the speakers and will instead try and find out whether they were removed from the box before I got them. If they weren't then something needs sorting at the manufacturing end because that is just careless, and I don't like careless.

It would be fair to say that I do have certain expectations, and those expectations may be considered unrealistic by some (not by me of course), but it riles me that there seems to be a modern phenomenon of mediocrity (less than pristine quality products in this case) which generally people are just supposed to accept with an attidue of, 'Oh well. It''ll do. Good enough'. I'm beginning to think it maybe an age thing....

Anyhow, I also ordered the Concept 20 stands (got them for £159.00 due to PT voucher) as well...my stands were too low and the base plate wasn't really an appropriate size for the Concept 20s . So will review my set up in a while, but as some kind of an indicator about the difference with and without the stands...I do truly hate to say it, because I was very sceptical reading the reviews about just how much difference they actually made, but b****y hell! It seems no one was telling porkies. And it kind of annoys me especially having assembled the wretched things and seeing how they fit together (PITA to get them level TBH). Most odd is that are the 3 metal screw in feet for each speaker and the fact they can move around a bit in the top plate recesses. No soft absorbing feet between speaker and plate as you might expect. Metal...and they are oddly shaped for some reason. Scratching my head over that one and wondering whether to actually take them off and plug the rubber stopper feet into the holes instead (the rubber ones come with the speakers and the screw in feet come with the stands).

Hello SiUK

Thank you for purchasing the Q Acoustics Concept 20 loudspeakers.

When paired with the matching Concept 20 stands, optimum sonic performance is achieved using the special metal locating lugs.

There is a Gelcore layer between the stand's two top plates. With the lugs in place, it is actually the metal ring surrounding each lug which contacts the top plate. The protuding part of the lug is designed to be too shallow to reach the lower plate and is there simply to ensure the speaker is correctly positioned on the stand.

The small rubber feet are provided for owners who may wish to place the speakers on shelves or furniture. We advise against using them (or blu-tac etc.) with the Concept 20 stands because it will defeat the Gelcore isolation and slightly degrade the performance.

best regards

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (Q Acoustics)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@Steve Reichert ...

Hello. Sorry for delay. Did not see your reply to my post. But thanks for the information and I have left the lugs on as you have suggested.

If you do get back to see this reply, I was wondering whether you could answer these questions?

1) why do the lugs have such an odd shape? That is, why not circular? I understand that they are making the minimum of contact but they'd still locate properly if they were circular, surely? And why not slightly bigger diameter locating lugs..the bits that protrude ..so they dodn't skate as much? Being the strange type of person that I am it is instinct to me to want to line up the lugs so they all point in the same direction (ie towards the rear or towards the sides) but that is impossible as it would mean they would not be fulled screwed in.

2) the diagrams and item descriptions show two metal back plates for the Concept 20 stands. I take it this is an error? There is only one metal plate for each speaker that fits against the glass back in the box. The manual shows there being 2 for each stand. x2 x2.

3) thespace for the cable at the bottom of the stands decreases due to the recessed fitting of the glass back support. So the channel for the cables is wider at the top than it is at the bottom. The diagram shows the cables fitted between the stand and the glass but the cables would have to quite thin to get away with that. Was it your intention that specific cables should be used with the stands or is that just some design foible?

4) As has been mentioned, the speakers I have recieved so far have all had minor issues, but issues nonetheless. I just spotted another What Hi-Fi member having issues with the same speakers (same set up as me). From what I can make out these issues can only have occurred during assembly or packing. Do you think that may be something worth addressing?

And btw, the speakers sound terrific and even better on the stands. After a short while of hating the look of the things (the stands) I have begun to warm to them. The aesthetic is quite elegant in fact. Especially as I think the idea behind the glass 'aeroplane wing' is to be as invisible as possible so that the focus is atually on the collumn with the speaker sited on top. Quite a clever idea actually and after a short while you sort of get it. Shame only gloss black /ipod white though. They really are dust and finger print magnets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts