Would this sound bad?, Crazy or just darn right good!

jstigwood

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
New Panny 42PZ80 Tv just purchassed.

Need to up my Surround sound system! I was going to go with the Q-Acoustics 1010i set up, but thought about this........

Existing Velodyne sub..(10 yrs old!!!)

HTS3001 speakers for the surrounds

Q-Acoustics center speaker 1000ci (I think thats the model no.)

with a Sony str1200es (existing amp) receiver and going to get the sony 350 or 550 BluRay Player? th wife by teh way has a speaker phobia!!! lol

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jstigwood:

Need to up my Surround sound system! I was going to go with the Q-Acoustics 1010i set up, but thought about this........

with a Sony str1200es (existing amp) receiver and going to get the sony 350 or 550 BluRay Player? th wife by teh way has a speaker phobia!!! lol

If you go down this route, get the 550 as you will be able to connect it to the 1200es with three pairs of stereo cables and get HD audio. You won't be able to do that with the 350.

That should sound great as well.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jstigwood:
Yeah good point!

Do You think the setup sounds sensible?

I have smaller style speakers as my rears and floorstanders, big centre and monster sub. Your rear speakers are the least important. If you are happy with your sub (you must be if you've had it a decade) and your front three speakers are the same (ie they are the supposed match), it will sound great.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:jstigwood:

If you go down this route, get the 550 as you will be able to connect it to the 1200es with three pairs of stereo cables and get HD audio. You won't be able to do that with the 350.

That should sound great as well.

But. I believe the 350 doesn't decode DTS:HD MasterAudio on board, so for films with it, you'll end up with plain old DD or DTS. This may or may not prove an annoyance......For me it would.....

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
jstigwood:
did you mean 550?

Yeah teh 550 would be the one I wuld go for i think!

Yes I did, but I'm wrong anyway!

Please ignore me, I must be tired!

;-)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:jstigwood:
did you mean 550?

;-)

By the way BC, the S350 can decode DTS HD now(firmware has been made available).

jstigwood

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I just built the 1010i speaker from paper (3D model) and god there bigger than i thought! I have been looking at the dimensions but it's hard to visualise a 3D object!

Showed the misses!!!!!! it's a no go!!! and To be honest i wanted smaller!

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I believe you can buy the KEF 'eggs' as singles? They are pretty small. Alternatively try the B&W M1's which can be bought singly for around £125 each (discount if you buy 5 usually).

That's what I did as I couldn't stretch to the PV1 sub. I already have a REL Strata (probably 10 years old too).

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

jstigwood

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah the HTS3001 speakers can be had for about £170 a pair, so will need 2 pairs. But dont know if you can buy teh centre as a single (or just buy 1 and if it can be turned horizontal).

Yeah the M1's look neat but wonderd how they compared to teh egg's

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I can't speak for the KEF's but I am certainly chuffed to bits with the M1's, they are all identical and each came in a single box - I turned one on it's side to perform centre speaker duties.

I think both have their fans but the best for you may be different for me - if you have a local dealer who sells both, arrange an audition letting them know your intentions and listen to their advice. Take some of your own material (music and movies) so you know you will be listening to something you are familiar with.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

jstigwood

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Your right!

Yeah good idea just a quick price comparrison:

M1's = £122 each

Kef's 2001.3 + £176 for 2

so a quick add up for a 5.1 system keeping the sub:

M1's = 5 x 122 = £610

Kef's = 5 x 88 = £440

Could be a no brainer! and teh 1005.2 is going for £379 for everything! I know not as good as the M1 Package or the 2001.3, but how far behind!!!!!

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Good maths but I got mine for £525 including an offer of speaker cable.

This would make only £100 difference - whether this is a difference you think is justified only you can decide. Hopefully you can audition both and you'll be able to make your own decision.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Big Chris:jstigwood:
did you mean 550?

;-)

By the way BC, the S350 can decode DTS HD now(firmware has been made available).

How recent is this? I did a firmware upgrade around Christmas time, so not sure if I'd now be DTS:HD MA able.

(I guess it's pretty moot anyway as the Onkyo does all the processing, but it can't hurt to know!)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Gerrardasnails:Big Chris:jstigwood:
did you mean 550?

;-)

How recent is this? I did a firmware upgrade around Christmas time, so not sure if I'd now be DTS:HD MA able.

(I guess it's pretty moot anyway as the Onkyo does all the processing, but it can't hurt to know!)

It was before Christmas, your 350 will decode everything now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts