Would the source make a difference to the MDAC?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I am awaiting delivery of an MDAC as soon as it comes in stock.

I will feed it a signal from the optical out of my Airport Express (attached to NAS by a LAN cable) but my question is:

Would the Squezebox Touch supply a NOTICEABLY better sound than the Airport Express - all using Apple Lossless rips?

Theoretically they should be the same but I have learnt that theory does not always win!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you believe jitter doesn't makes a significant difference (and the MDAC reclocking is doing its stuff) then maybe probably not ... ish

PS Jitter figures ... Squeezebox Touch: up to 300 ps, Airport Express: approx 1000 ps

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
If you believe jitter makes a signifiant difference (and the MDAC reclocking is doing its stuff) then maybe probably not ... ish

PS Jitter figures ... Squeezebox Touch: up to 300 ps, Airport Express: approx 1000 ps
The Airport Express clocks in at 258ps, which is better than the Squeezebox.

You're confusing the figures with the AE being used as a DAC, which would not be the case here.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
tino said:
If you believe jitter makes a signifiant difference (and the MDAC reclocking is doing its stuff) then maybe probably not ... ish

The Airport Express clocks in at 258ps, which is better than the Squeezebox.

You're confusing the figures with the AE being used as a DAC, which would not be the case here.

I saw both figures quoted 250/258ps and 1000ps and assumed worst case. Thanks for the data.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
So the consensus is that the Airport express would actually give a better data stream than the Touch.

Excellent - I've already got the AE so that's saved me £199.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts