Would the RoksaKandy be suitable to build a system around?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

It looks as though I may be able to afford the Roksan Kandy from Superfi. £679 plus postage.

I currently run an avr andb & w speakers -see signature.

Iamkeen to audition atheRoksanbut my local dealer does not stock it. Superfi have one at reasonable money.

They are happy to let me return it within seven days at my cost.

Would you say this would be a good component to base my system around? I will use the Beresford switch so I can use the same 602s3 for the moment.

I will be looking to upgrade my speakers later in the year.

I will also be adding the Sonus to my system playing from a nas and spotify.

My room is quite large but also quite reflective.i will be looking to add a rug and possibly canvas picture.

I listen to anything from Fleetwood Mac to dance to Noel Gallagher

Wouxld there be any other recommendations in the same sort of price?

Will the b & ws really not work dwith this amp?

Thoughts?

Matt

The answer is yes. The Kandy K2 is a very good amp and can easily be upgraded with the power amp, should the need arise. However, for very similar price you could own this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Silver-NEW-/170751104266?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27c18f150a

Originally retailed at 1200 quid it has to be the bargain of the year, and will easily usurp the Kandy. The only caveat with the Pulse is you'll need, at some stage, to upgrade the speakers. The 602s you have are fabulous value for money but the Leema will need better speakers (eventually) to hear it at its best.

A

Anonymous

The Roksan Kandy K2 will work very well with the B&W's and I feel would drive them to their fullest postential; it's a tank of an amp with bags of power

The NAD C356BEE amp would be worth well demo'ing at that price range as well; again another very solid & gutsy amp but with a deeper and more tauter soundstage than the Kandy 2 IMO

The Leema Pulse and/or Creek Evo II would be worth a demo as well if you can find them at a good price

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
The answer is yes. The Kandy K2 is a very good amp and can easily be upgraded with the power amp, should the need arise. However, for very similar price you could own this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Silver-NEW-/170751104266?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27c18f150a

Originally retailed at 1200 quid it has to be the bargain of the year, and will easily usurp the Kandy. The only caveat with the Pulse is you'll need, at some stage, to upgrade the speakers. The 602s you have are fabulous value for money but the Leema will need better speakers (eventually) to hear it at its best.

PP, that is also on my list. My only concern is reading that it can be fussy partnering with other equipment.

Its also in black which is a must have.

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
The Roksan Kandy K2 will work very well with the B&W's and I feel would drive them to their fullest postential; it's a tank of an amp with bags of power

The NAD C356BEE amp would be worth well demo'ing at that price range as well; again another very solid & gutsy amp but with a deeper and more tauter soundstage than the Kandy 2 IMO

The Leema Pulse and/or Creek Evo II would be worth a demo as well if you can find them at a good price

Thankyou. I will be sure to have a look at both of these.

The Roksan is really at the top of the budget so I will definitely have to look at these options.

Although working with the b and w's is important, I definitely want an amp that will give me plenty of options regarding speakers

Matt

A

Anonymous

All the above mentioned amps will...

If you're open to 2nd hand suggestions then consider the Arcsam FMJ A32 (if you can find one) and possibly the Cyrus 8VS2

With your budget there arent many amps better than those suggested by myself and PP IMO

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice.

Please excuse the poor spelling/grammar, still getting used to this bloody ipad2.

Is there no way to edit my first post?

Matt

matthaskell said:
plastic penguin said:

PP, that is also on my list. My only concern is reading that it can be fussy partnering with other equipment.

Its also in black which is a must have.

I'm going to shatter a few myths: The Pulse (if you glance at my sig) sounds very controlled with RS6s. I've also tested it with various speakers and CDPs and I don't understand why the amp is deemed as bright. Sure it is sparkly and if partnered with other bright equipment in a relfective room (suspended wooden floorboards and partnered with Cyrus or other known bright components) then it could be a little OTT.

Any amp can sound disjointed if the synergy isn't there.

Personally, the Pulse has a lovely organic, attacking presentation.

Speakers I've heard it with: Monitor Audio, PMC, Spendor, Totem.

For that price it's a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks PP,

i am only going on what i have read.

The fact that the price is right, people who have bought it love and the manufacturer has a good reputation makes an audition a no-brainer.

Its at the brighton store which is about 60 -70 miles from here. i think thats worth a trip.

I have also been eyeing up the PMC db1i from my local dealer - so its nice to know you think it has good synergy with the Pulse.

My room is reflective, reasonably large with laminate flooring - i know i will have to alter this regardless of equipment.

Matt

matthaskell said:
Thanks PP,

The fact that the price is right, people who have bought it love and the manufacturer has a good reputation makes an audition a no-brainer.

Its at the brighton store which is about 60 -70 miles from here. i think thats worth a trip.

I have also been eyeing up the PMC db1i from my local dealer - so its nice to know you think it has good synergy with the Pulse.

My room is reflective, reasonably large with laminate flooring - i know i will have to alter this regardless of equipment.

Matt

With a refective room I'd certainly avoid hard domed tweeters (not just the Pulse but most amps), so as long as your source is reasonably smooth and the soft domed tweeters (PMCs, Spendors, Totems) it should be fine. Good luck with the audition.

BTW, the Brighton branch also stocks Kandy K2. A direct comparison will tell you which you prefer.

Good luck, pp

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
matthaskell said:
Thanks PP,

Matt

With a refective room I'd certainly avoid hard domed tweeters (not just the Pulse but most amps), so as long as your source is reasonably smooth and the soft domed tweeters (PMCs, Spendors, Totems) it should be fine. Good luck with the audition.

BTW, the Brighton branch also stocks Kandy K2. A direct comparison will tell you which you prefer.

Good luck, pp

The B&W's will work fine as their a fairly smooth speakers. The Monitor Audio speakers would work but as PP said they could become fatiguing due to the room lay out but in saying that a lot of speakers could. Some thick rugs and soft furnishings would help here a lot ;)

Deffo try the Pulse as it's a lovely amp but so is the K2, Creek Evo II and NAD C356BEE - For me it'd be between the Leema and NAD

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gents!

should i be taking my speakers with me?

Not worried about source as i'm sure they have a CD6003/4.

Matt

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
matthaskell said:
Thanks Gents!

should i be taking my speakers with me?

Not worried about source as i'm sure they have a CD6003/4.

Matt

Yes, take as much of your existing set-up as you can otherwise you have nowt to compare it with. Unless, of course, you plan on changing the speakers quickly.

i wish. probably 9 - 12 months away

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts