would like some opinions about floor standing speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How about the new q acoustics 3050 floorstanders.

They will surely be better than the q acoustics concept 40 and 2050i floorstanders.

You might save yourself some money, depending on your tastes.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure about the newer ranges, but i find monitor audio metal tweeters nearly always outclass the tweeters used on q acoustics. But midrange is far better on the q acoustics (more life like).

Try and find a floorstander with a ribbon tweeter - not that many to choose from.

A

Anderson

Vladimir said:
Which trim? I hope you didn't get these. Your wife will tend to put flower pots on them.
g

Piano black was the only choice I could make really, but it's a choice Im happy to be making.

@rest of you guys

you suck lol this is what I'm getting stop confusing me with other speakers haha

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Anderson said:
Opinions / thoughts politely requested.

The Monitor Audios looks like a competent well balanced 3 way design. The XTZ somewhat less so crossing a stiff 6.5" midwoofer to a ribbon. The XTZ blurb talks about the SEAS magnesium cone but the picture shows the SEAS paper cone but neither looks particularly suitable for crossing high to a ribbon tweeter because of the location of the strong midwoofer cone breakup. I would suggest a degree of caution when it comes to the performance of the XTZ.

PS. I seem to have got my threads confused. For some reason I thought I was replying to a new post but it is good to see I am only reinforcing the decision that was made.

A

Anderson

hg said:
Anderson said:
Opinions / thoughts politely requested.

The Monitor Audios looks like a competent well balanced 3 way design. The XTZ somewhat less so crossing a stiff 6.5" midwoofer to a ribbon. The XTZ blurb talks about the SEAS magnesium cone but the picture shows the SEAS paper cone but neither looks particularly suitable for crossing high to a ribbon tweeter because of the location of the strong midwoofer cone breakup. I would suggest a degree of caution when it comes to the performance of the XTZ.

PS. I seem to have got my threads confused. For some reason I thought I was replying to a new post but it is good to see I am only reinforcing the decision that was made.

Thanks for contributing, you have indeed reinforced my decision. Totes excited.

what do I do when I get them home, I'll want to unbox them and play with them but seems pointless without an amplifier? Maybe the shop can lend me one?

A

Anderson

Vladimir said:
Get a demo Marantz from the shop to play with. They might lend you one of the cheaper models that sits unused. No harm asking.

I might just brassneck it and do that Vlad, I'm looking at a cheap Marantz anyway. Thanks.

A

Anderson

Ahhhhhhh no don't be saying that, just lie to me and tell me the new speakers will be fantastic.

A

Anderson

Paid! Got an excellent price, just have to wait on their stock coming in, can take up to 4 weeks. I'm so happy!!

A

Anderson

Vladimir said:
.:: Suffering and anxiety countdown initiated ::.

Tell me about it!

I don't think the manager was too happy about the price when I said what I was paying he started enquiring who had agreed the price with me, I genuinely didn't know so just explained my last visit and he eventually agreed. It's a PITA about the wait of one month, the sales person I spoke to a couple of weeks ago told me it would only take a week but the manager today said 1 month.

At least now I'll have time to get cash together for the amplifier.

A

Anderson

Vladimir said:
Do I smell a PM8005 in the near future? Or even a Pearl Lite? *wink*

ha no, way out of my budget. I'm pretty certain I'll be getting a NR1504 or similar. :)

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Collected my new Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S2's this morning.
The downside is that i'm now back in work so have to wait until later to unpack and set them up - think it's going to be a loooooooong afternoon.

A

Anderson

stevee1966 said:
Collected my new Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S2's this morning. The downside is that i'm now back in work so have to wait until later to unpack and set them up - think it's going to be a loooooooong afternoon.

How long had you been waiting on them since ordering?

I plan on taking a few days off work when the shop gets mine in for me. The waiting is a killer but you're gonna have so much fun unpacking them, admiring them and then listening to them. Congratulations on your new speakers :)

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Anderson said:
stevee1966 said:
Collected my new Bowers & Wilkins CM10 S2's this morning. The downside is that i'm now back in work so have to wait until later to unpack and set them up - think it's going to be a loooooooong afternoon.

How long had you been waiting on them since ordering?

I plan on taking a few days off work when the shop gets mine in for me. The waiting is a killer but you're gonna have so much fun unpacking them, admiring them and then listening to them. Congratulations on your new speakers :)

I've not had to wait long. Ordered them on Friday. Delivered yesterday (would have been sooner but the store doesn't open on a Monday).

A

Anderson

Get some pictures up if you get a minute and update your signature :D

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Congratulations on the CM10s! I know I'm off topic but I'm interested in your experience with them. How do you like them next to your previous speakers? Also, what did you audition them against, and why did you go for the CM10?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Laurens_B said:
Congratulations on the CM10s! I know I'm off topic but I'm interested in your experience with them. How do you like them next to your previous speakers? Also, what did you audition them against, and why did you go for the CM10?

A bit premature as they are still in their box. I'll report in time.

A

Anderson

Still in the box FFS get them out take pictures we want to see too!

A

Anderson

I've got the speakers. Unpacking them and getting them set up was fun, listening to the first time at home was great. I've really settled into them now and I have been nothing but impressed. The Mrs is completely indifferent lol but the kids love them.

I ended up with a Denon AVR, the convenience is brilliant. I've got the Virgin TiVo, PS4 and HTPC plugged into it. I've got something like 500 albums saved to my HTPC but I've just found myself using spotify 95% of the time, I set Spotify up on the Mrs phone so that she could listen as she desired and it's working out well. She can switch from watching telly to listening to Spotify just by firing up the app on her phone, you can even control the volume from your phone. Neat.

I've set a limit on the volume at -20 which is plenty loud for our small living room. On that note being able to set a limit on the volume is fantastic, I haven't once detected the amp straining or heard any distortion. I realise mileage my vary depending on room size but this little amp has been outstanding.

The speakers are beautiful to look at, covers on when we have the baby nephew around and off when I have all the kids out of the house. I was giving the speakers a wipe down and I found a rubber duck stuffed in the bass port FFS

Auddessy on the amp, I'm not sure about this. As it stands I have it disabled for Spotify but on for everything else, I've got a bit of a hangup about using it for music but I think I'm going to test this a bit more next week when I'm off. For those probably not curious I'm using the flat profile. From my brief use of it with Spotify/music it appears to tame bass boom a lot but I don't know what else it's doing, it didn't sound bad though. Thoughts on this?

TRENDING THREADS