Would be grateful for any help - complete novice here :)

frazzle515

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As the title suggest, I know very little about the mechanics, jargon and the sheer variety of sound systems out there. I do however have a huge passion for music (particularly Genesis... I know some people don't want to help me now haha!)

My proudest possessions are the SACD Genesis boxsets complete with 2.1 and 5.1 mixes. They sound great on my old speakers but I'm desperate to hear their true potential. Problem is, I have no idea where to begin. I would love to hear the 5.1 mixes but would also like to use the speakers/system to play 2.1 for all my other CDs and SACDs.

I obviously need something to play the SACDs/CDs and the speakers themselves. Is there anything else I need? I obviously have a budget in mind but I also want the best possible sound and willing to go fairly high without whincing too much :)

Again, I know nothing... so if you are kind enough to reply, please keep it simple :D

Thank you in advance, would really appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Fraser

Nothing wrong with a bit of Genesis, just a very litle bit you understand. :)

Sounds like you are going to need a 'home cinema ' system of some sort. Basically an AV amplifier with speaker package and a blu-ray player capable of handling SACD playback. (Sony's are good for this but there are others).

How much is your budget as a matter of interest?

There are other options if you are satisfied purely with 2.1 speakers rather than 5.1

OldHand

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, your requirements along with a lack of budget will make it very difficult for you to receive the help you need here. The only thing I can say is that 5.1 SACD doesn't really do it for me as its very unnatural. I would stick with 2.1 personally. The best advice I can give is to try and decide on a rough budget for what you wish to achieve, and then seek out a reputable hi fi dealer near you. In fact try 2-3 and see who gives the best advice and service. A good retailer won't confuse you with jargon and will merely endeavour to put the system together that you desire. Oh, and use your ears when listening. I know it sounds silly but don't be taken in by overblown dynamic sounding systems. You want something you can live with and enjoy after all. And watch your feet, are they tapping together with the music? Always a good sign that a system has rythm. Good luck and enjoy ;)

OldHand

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
And if you have a good budget try to buy English or European brands. They sound so much better. If you prefer the sound of 2.1 I wouldn't buy an AV amp. They are no comparison for the sound quality of a dedicated hi fi amp.

T

the record spot

frazzle515 said:
Hi everyone,

As the title suggest, I know very little about the mechanics, jargon and the sheer variety of sound systems out there. I do however have a huge passion for music (particularly Genesis... I know some people don't want to help me now haha!)

My proudest possessions are the SACD Genesis boxsets complete with 2.1 and 5.1 mixes. They sound great on my old speakers but I'm desperate to hear their true potential. Problem is, I have no idea where to begin. I would love to hear the 5.1 mixes but would also like to use the speakers/system to play 2.1 for all my other CDs and SACDs.

I obviously need something to play the SACDs/CDs and the speakers themselves. Is there anything else I need? I obviously have a budget in mind but I also want the best possible sound and willing to go fairly high without whincing too much :)

Again, I know nothing... so if you are kind enough to reply, please keep it simple :D

Thank you in advance, would really appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Fraser

Hi Fraser, it might help things along a little if you can indicate what sort of budget you have in mind. If you want to hear the DSD stream from the disc, you need an amp and source that will handle the native DSD stream from the disc via HDMI. If you're happy with the DTS mixes, then just about any AV amp will do the trick.

T

the record spot

OldHand said:
And if you have a good budget try to buy English or European brands. They sound so much better. If you prefer the sound of 2.1 I wouldn't buy an AV amp. They are no comparison for the sound quality of a dedicated hi fi amp.

Welcome to the forum Oldhand. Rest assured, they are :)

frazzle515

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
[*]Maitland, Fraser [*][/b]To[*]fraser.maitland@btinternet.com [/list]
Just logged in from last night to see some really informative responses - thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really am clueless, but I do want the best out of the SACDs and CDs. I’ve already taken the advice regarding visiting a local HIFI place, Holburn Hifi (Aberdeen, Scotland) is my local place and will be seeing them next week. Can’t wait :) I will take my Genesis stuff :rofl:

In terms of budget – I’m happy to go around £2000, but could go more... I want this to be an investment, rather than something short term. However, again, I don’t know if that 2k is enough?

In terms of the amp – I’ve had two suggestions from this thread. An AV or a dedicated HIFI which must be capable of playing the SACDs. I think Old hand is right, if most music is recorded in 2.1 I will stick to that. Any recommendations for the full set up/Amp? I suppose I’m dwindling into the realms of opinions... I’ll take any on board.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate all of your help. I’m learning

Cheers,
Fraser

My own opinion (after owning and using sacd) is that you are probably better off just buying the best standard cd player you can get. sacd didn't sound any better to me, it actually sounded worse. like it had been over-produced. its not worth basing a system on a few cd's. (this is my own opinion)

'S funny that because every one of my SACD's sounds better than me CD's of the same album. Guess it's what you play it back on.

To the OP, if you want 2.1 channel sound you are going to have to get an AV amp.

A universal disc player will only output 2 channel stereo over it's analogue outputs. This is what you will need if you are going down the 'normal' integrated amplifier route.

Best to get a Blu-ray type player that will handle SACD discs outputting over HDMI cable to an AV amp if you require more than straight stereo.

Al ears said:
'S funny that because every one of my SACD's sounds better than me CD's of the same album. Guess it's what you play it back on.

To the OP, if you want 2.1 channel sound you are going to have to get an AV amp.

A universal disc player will only output 2 channel stereo over it's analogue outputs. This is what you will need if you are going down the 'normal' integrated amplifier route.

Best to get a Blu-ray type player that will handle SACD discs outputting over HDMI cable to an AV amp if you require more than straight stereo.

as i've said before Al, we all have differing views on SQ, and what's good/bad/better and my opinion is, my rega apollo is more musical than my arcam sacd player ever was. so personally i wouldn't spend money on a sacd player.

agreed. i only have limited knowledge on the subject. so baring that in mind, that is all i can offer. personally, sacd didn't do anything for me, and the relative failure of the format only goes to support that. if you have found a genre of music that is supported by sacd then it may be worth it. for me, that wasn't the case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts