would a luxman integrated match well with Spendor A6?

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Ive been reading great things about the Luxman 505u(SS) integrated and was wondering if it would make a good match with my spendor A6.

I read that the luxman is very smooth , as are the spendors.Might it be too much of a smooth thing?I like smoothness but I also like PRAT.

Any comment s welcome

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rrm said:
Ive been reading great things about the Luxman 505u(SS) integrated and was wondering if it would make a good match with my spendor A6.

I read that the luxman is very smooth , as are the spendors.Might it be too much of a smooth thing?I like smoothness but I also like PRAT.

Any comment s welcome

"Too smooth" is too personal and subjective to know what you would think.

The other brands to try are Harbeth, Opera, Sonus Faber, Proac and Kef R Series.

rrm said:

Any comment s welcome

Right - not heard Luxman amps nor A6s. I know, however, someone (my old boss, he spends fortunes on hi-fi) and he currently owns a Luxman (no idea model no.) and has paired it with Wilson Benesch Discovery speakers.

Another brand to add to the list. :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Um, isn't it the other way round? You guys give lots of speaker options for Luxman, while the OP has a pair of Spendors... I think he's looking for an amp to pair with the A6s. :? Correct me if I'm wrong, rrm. :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Um, isn't it the other way round? You guys give lots of speaker options for Luxman, while the OP has a pair of Spendors... I think he's looking for an amp to pair with the A6s. :? Correct me if I'm wrong, rrm. :)

:oops:

It's been a long day.

DocG said:

Eek! another red face.

Okay, based on my experience of SA-1 and A5s I would suggest Leema Pulse or better still the Tucana. from what I've read about Luxman they sound fairly warm and velvety, which matches my experience of Spendor speakers.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard the L-505u, but I did hear the L-590A II, which Mac mentioned. It's an excellent amp, but does have a lush, golden presentation and in combination with your Spendors may not satisfy your PRaT requirement.

To add to the suggestions above, Electrocompaniet is worth considering The ECI 5 Mk II integrated sells for around the same price as the L-505u.

What amp are you currently using? Is there anything in particular you don't like about your current set-up?

Matt

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Smooth, but weighty and powerful. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the speakers, so I couldn't even begin to guess. The 507u has even more power and control and is a bit more lively.

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Spot on Doc G!

i currently have a plinius 8200 driving the Spendors. Nice and smooth but I would like some PRAT as well. Ok I'm greedy ...just a little bit!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The only thing to do is demo together... not sure where you are located, but if practical give Audio Emotion a call and they would be happy to give a home demo of the l-590a II.

Mac

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I have a Leema Pulse III driving the A6s & have no complaints. So the Tucana as peviously suggested would be worth a listen if you're keen to spend.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
And then there's the pratmeisters, NAIM.

However, if the Spendors err towards the smooth and warm, I'm guessing the amp isn't necessarily going to solve the problem. Try the amp you already have with some Neats, and you'll see what I mean.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I am driving my Spendor A6's with a Musical Fidelity M6i. Very neutral and give me exactly what's on the recording, good or bad. I love the amp.

They also have an M3 series which I understand share some of the sonic attributes of the M6.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts