Worth upgrading old KEF KTH 5.1 set up now that the sub is broken?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have some Kef KTH 2005 speakers and sub - I've had them for around 7 years, so they must be an old model, perhaps version 2005.1? I have a 5.1 surround sound set up but the subwoofer seems to have stopped working. As soon as it is turned on and some sound comes through it just lets out a continuous loud hum that does not stop until the sub is turned off.

So, a few questions - is it worth trying to get the sub fixed? If not, should I just get a new sub and stick with the current speakers? Or, should I get a new set up?

I recently moved house and will be putting in new carpet/redecorating so can get the lounge wired up now fairly tidily. I want a decent home cinema system that is equally adept with music. I have an old Yamaha receiver which I will probably upgrade and am thinking of getting a blu-ray player as well.

If I had a budget of around £2000 or so (perhaps £3000 if it really made a difference) for Blu-ray player, receiver and speaker/sub - what would people suggest? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hello, perhaps there are too many questions contained in my mail to get a response? So, I'll boil it down to 2 - is it worth keeping the old Kef KTH 2005 speakers and just getting a new sub? And, if I am to upgrade for around £2000, what receiver and 5.1 package would people recommend that is able to handle music competently as well as movies?

Really appreciate any help.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Marius, I had similar problem with my PSW 2010 sub (that came with the 2005 eggs) - took it to KEF in Maidstone any they fixed while I waited (and gave me a tour of their speakers too). Problem may be the frequently-reported one due to the standby switch actually only a Mute function, so eventually some circuitry gives up. Cost me about £100 for the repair and all ok now. I've replaced the fronts/centre with more substantial B+Ws and upgraded the receiver to a pioneer LX53. but kept my eggs for surrounds ...they are very space-friendly and seem to cope pretty well with the lesser demands of being a surround speaker,

A

Anonymous

Hi DandyCobalt - thanks for taking the time to respond. I will look into getting the sub fixed and your idea of keeping the rear speakers seems a good one. A new receiver and new front/centre speakers might be the most cost effective approach. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

You could also maybe use the spare front speakers to create a 6.1 or 7.1 system if things allow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts