Worth getting Arcam DAC for Spotify Premium setup?

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Spotify premium on a win7 PC; mezzo 2 speakers; CA 540a; pretty decent CA cable. Currently going through an M-Audio USB Fasttrack (bought for quick guitar recording but used as soundcard because its better than PC soundcard).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
M-Audio Fasttrack is a decent interface but as you say, as much as anything it's aimed at recordists. Because I've never heard it, it's difficult for me to say how well its 'playback' sound compares to DACs that are popular in HiFi circles and how much you'd have to spend to better it. But, a better DAC will improve the SQ of Spotify just like it will improve the SQ of any other source.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if this is of any help but I've just bought an MF M1DAC to go with my EPOZ powered speakers and music all via my Apple TV2 via iTunes/AirPlay and it's made hell of a difference to the soundstage

Sounds are much fuller with more detail at the top end; midrange is more smoother & well timed and the bass is deeper & punchier and with less roll off as there was before!

I think a good DAC between your system and speakers will make improvements but I'd say try before you buy; see if you can get some on a home demo and see how it goes from there

From my personal expereinces; the Arcam rDAC is very good but the Emotiva XDA1 DAC is much better indeed and similar priced (even cheaper 2nd hand)!

ITEM Audio would be worth speaking to re DAC's: http://www.itemaudio.com/index.php/digital-converters/transmenu-mainmenu-75/detail/21-digital-analog-dacs/flypage/57-emotiva-xda1.html?sef=hcfp

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Comp > Emotiva XDA1 DAC > 540A > Mezzo 2. No way I can audition the Emotiva XDA1 DAC, but it look intertesting. What kind of sound?

A

Anonymous

Yes you can demo!

speak to item audio; they'll be more than happy to help :)

Its a great DAC & very good at opening up the soundstage!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Willferox said:
Hey thanks for all your advise. I ended up buying the arcam today for a very modest price.

Let us all know how you get on. Love to see a review on the rDAC and the differences it made to your system.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I might do a recording experiment with and without dac - I have a good mic to do this.

I love the sound. It opens up the intruments. Before everything was flat - the instruments blended into one. The dac helps to give each instrument life.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Willferox

It's nearly a week since you bought the Dac so time to start thinking about an upgrade!

Assuming it was the rDac you bought could I suggest one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-power-multi-voltage-desktop-power-supply-32754

I've got one (and an rDac), it makes quite a worthwhile improvement. All for the tidy sum of £20.

But if you hurry it's on sale at £10. That's stocking filler pricing, and perhaps the most cost effective upgrade ever. And you can hide the ugly brute behind the equipment rack. Just remember to set it to 6V OR YOU WILL FRY THE DAC

A

Anonymous

therecruiter said:
Not sure if this is of any help but I've just bought an MF M1DAC to go with my EPOZ powered speakers and music all via my Apple TV2 via iTunes/AirPlay and it's made hell of a difference to the soundstage

The new generation 3 one? Using optical connection i assume? Interested to hear how you set it up for use solely for music (bypassing a television).

PM me if necessary :)

thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts