Wiring up a Denon all in one system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I'm not very technical when it comes to "home cinema" and wondered if you could help.

I had already pre-wired a Denon DHT 500SD in my kitchen and have just purchased a Panasonic TH37PX80.

My brother in law tells me that to get surround sound for TV as well as DVD I would have to get a freeview box even though the TV has it built in.

This I did but I'm surprised that I would have to do this.

Is he correct or can I wire up the system without the need for a separate freeview box?

Any advice?

John Duncan

Ought to be fine - you'll need to take the audio out from the Panasonic into the receiver, and you'll be limited to prologic - but then not many freeview receivers I can think of have a digital out yet, and AFAIK there aren't any freeview channels doing dolby 5.1 anyway, though I could be wrong.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ought to be fine - you'll need to take the audio out from the Panasonic into the receiver, and you'll be limited to prologic - but then not many freeview receivers I can think of have a digital out yet, and AFAIK there aren't any freeview channels doing dolby 5.1 anyway, though I could be wrong.

Yeah, what John said.

Don't know the spec of your TV, so you have two options. If your TV has a digital out (and your Denon a digital 'in' of course), Connect the two together. If your TV does not have a digital output (Or as before, if your Denon does not have a digital 'in') you'll need a standard pair of interconnects to go from the red/white sockets on the back of the TV, to a suitable input on the Denon.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both of you for your replies but I really am a numpty when it comes to this subject and reading manuals doesn't seem to help me much.

I'm going to be cheeky here if you don't mind :D

Here are 2 sites regarding each products spec.

http://www.fixya.com/support/p42125-denon_dht500sd_system/manual-18286

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/564544/index.html?trackInfo=true

The connectivity for the Denon is on pages 6 & 7.

Could you give me an idiots guide as to how to wire everything up from this?

Does the aerial connect into the tv first or the denon?

Yes, I need that much help!

John Duncan

take a pair of phono to phono cables from

"Monitor Out RCA phono type connectors (L, R) (1 set rear)"

on the panasonic

to what looks like the bottom right set of input jacks on the Denon (can't quite see - think is marked "CD/Tuner/etc") - and select that input when you're listening to the telly.

That should do it.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
OK. You're gonna need a component cable (Connection 'A' on page 6 of the Denon manual), to transmit picture to your TV. As far as i can tell, your TV doesn't have a digital out, so you're gonna need a stereo pair of interconnects (Connection 'D' on page 7 of the Denon manual) to transmit sound from the TV to the Denon (TV should have a pair of red/white audio outs on its rear).

The Denon has a single aerial point. Some TVs (mine does, and it's really old) have a aerial in AND an out. If your TV has an in AND an out, you need to run the aerial to the TV aerial input, then another aerial cable from the TV output, to the aerial input on the Denon. If your TV does not have an aerial output, you'll need to use a 'Y' splitter in the aerial socket, then run an aerial cable to the Tv and the Denon.

I trust you've connected the speakers and sub already, so I won't go into that.

TBH. Your TV is deserving of a newer DVD player, or even Blu-Ray. But the component cable will give you the best picture in the meantime.

A

Anonymous

Thanks so much for your time and help gents.

I'll be doing it saturday - assuming it all works I've now got a freeview box I don't need :(

TRENDING THREADS