Wireless Speakers - Large room - money no object

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Samsung UE46B8000 LED TV and need a surround sound solution. So I need to buy a blu ray player, receiver and a great set of 5.1 speakers. The speakers are causing me the problem. Because the room has high ceilings and is tiled I need wireless wall mounted speakers (ideally small). Who makes the best wall mounted wireless speakers. The speakers will then dictate the bluray players and receiver - amp. Alternatively, a sound bar may have to be used but what i hear is that theye are no match for a good 5.1 system.

Merry Xmas Everybody

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't do it.

Wireless speakers are more expensive, and don't sound as good as wired ones. Soundbars won't be as good as a decent 5.1 system, but a good one will still be better than the wireless ones available from Argos/Dixons etc.

A

Anonymous

Plus - (correct me if I am wrong) so called wireless speakers in an AV set up need a 240v mains supply to each of them so you would still have 'cables' going to each of them, you only save on speaker cables from your amp to each speaker.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I have the KEF KHT 5000 5.1 system with wirless rears and they have been flawless for me. Front to back and surround panning is lightning fast.

Running cable was not an option for me, but I don't feel like I'm being short changed by the conveniance of wireless rears. I tested against a friends wired rears using the first battle scene from Master and Commander Blu-ray, and we both agreed that my wireless rear setup was as good as his wired setup.

I can't speak for other makes, but the Kefs get a big thumbs up from me. And now they offer wireless subs too...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
soulton: Plus - (correct me if I am wrong) so called wireless speakers in an AV set up need a 240v mains supply to each of them so you would still have 'cables' going to each of them, you only save on speaker cables from your amp to each speaker.

This is correct, and a point that usually stops most 'wireless wanters' in their tracks once mentioned - many people think that there will be no cables at all. There has to be a mains cable to both of them, or at least one mains cable then a connecting mains cable between the two speakers (when talking about wireless rear speakers). It'a actually less hassle just to run a couple of discreet cables direct from the amp to the speakers - it'll sound better too.

A

Anonymous

There are a couple of issues here: wireless speakers are not wireless, and soundbars will fall down on both stereo and surround sound.

Wireless speakers still require mains power, therefore you will have to connect two thick cables to wall sockets. I am of the opinion that a slim piece of speaker wire could be installed more neatly.

Soundbars only create a surround effect so won't be as good as a dedicated system. Soundbars are also very poor for music. I thought they were a good idea at first but after listening to some realised that there was a better option.

I effectively took a step back and just bought a stereo system! There are no wires all over the room and music is not compromised. I do not get silly effects and explosions behind me but the dialogue is clear, which is a huge benefit over television speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all very much for your good advise. I did not realise the need for a mains connection to wireless speakers, so my option is a soundbar or a stereo set up. I understand that Samsung do a soundbar with Bluray and a sub woofer. I also know that Yamaha are releasing a new sound bar in January. Any comment?

If I were to go for a stereo system, I would want a sub woofer. Any suggstions on a good make of amp, sub woofer and speakers which should ideally be wall mounted.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Have a look here.

Some are 2.1 systems and soundbars.

I have heard one of these and it was very good for just 2 speakers and a sub.

Your other option is to buy an amp and just LCR speakers + sub and then set up as pseudo rears.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS