Wireless home cinema speakers

Lugg22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking for a set up whereby at least my 2 surround speakers are wireless, but I am also fine with all of the speakers being wireless. I have the AC-outlets in all the right places, so that is not the problem (its just pulling the wires from the amplifier to the surround speakers).

I currently have the Kef wireless speaker system hooked up to my B&W M1 speakers, but somehow the sound comming out of the speakers remains very soft and doesn't seem to pick up all of the surround sounds of the movies.

I have been looking at better possibilities and so far have only come up with the Sonos soundbar, sonos subwoofer and 2 sonos Play 1's as surround speakers. I am sure that this gives a really good sound and I hear that the reliability of this set up is really good (no drop outs). The only problem I see is that the sonos playbar only supports regular Dolby surround and not any of the other surround formats (not DTS for example). It seems to me that this is a problem (and not very future proof ), but I would be very happy to be convinced otherwise.

If anyone has any other suggestions for wireless surround speakers please let me know. For example bluetooth surround speakers linked via bluetooth to my amplifier (sony STR-DN 1050) and then use wired front speakers or a wired sound bar with subwoofer.

I have been looking on internet for ages but just cant find any recent articles/reviews on this topic. Thanks a lot!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lugg22 said:
I currently have the Kef wireless speaker system hooked up to my B&W M1 speakers,

How are you doing that? The M1 is a passive, unpowered speaker, there must be an amp in there somewhere, how are you connecting the KEF speakers (which ones?) to that?

but somehow the sound comming out of the speakers remains very soft and doesn't seem to pick up all of the surround sounds of the movies.

Without knowing exactly what your setup is it's going to be next to impossible to tell you waht you're doing wrong.

Lugg22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi Thanks for the reply.

I have hooked up the M1's to the Kef Universal wireless kit. This kit has 2 universal (2.4GHz) wireless receivers with each 50-watt digital power amplifiers. So that is where the amplification for the M1's is coming from. It's an old system but should work and the old reviews were pretty good.

But as I said, if anyone has tips on a newer/better alternative (e.g. bluetooth surround speakers) or can tell me whether the sonos set up mentioned in my post would be any good (or if I would miss DTS and other surround options too much), please let me know.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts