Wireless HDMI - sound only - does it excist?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have more than seven meters between my blu-ray player/projector and my amp. I know there are cables that long, but with it running around corners, ceiling etc it will be to long - and ugly looking at.

Since my blu-ray player and projector stand next to each other I have been using Audioengines W1 to transmit the stereo signal to my amp, however I would like to have surround sound.

Is it possible to find a HDMI audio only transmitter that will transmit the 5.1 audio signal to my future surround sound receiver?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Why not move your amp nearer your projector (if you've room for a Blu-ray player, surely it's not much more space to add an amp - assuming there's sufficient ventilation?)

Or move your Blu-ray player next to the amp/receiver. Then you'd only need a short HDMI run from player to amp, with a single HDMI cable from amp to the projector for the picture.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Problem is, there is no room for a 43 cm. width amp next to the blu-ray player. And I would rather not have this loooong hdmi cable running across the ceiling. The shelf it stands on is only 35 cm. wide. My Panny projector and Sony BDP-S185 fits that nicely :)

And I haven't been able to locate a max. 35 cm. in width surround amp/receiver.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I get it. What about the second suggestion - moving the player next to the amp/receiver? I know it still means a long cable to the projector, but you can get flat designs that run quite discreetly around edge of room, then up behind your projector...

Juzzie Wuzzie

You can purchase digital coax cables >10m in length, so my initial reaction is that is should work - but I'm not a technical expert. Merely a suggestion based on the outputs of your BRP and anticipated likely inputs on your AVR.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Although coax cables won't give you Dolby HD/DTS HD sound, but only the standard DD/DTS version.

Another alternative might be to look at one of the 'HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 cable' solutions - running a length of Cat5 cable will be a lot less obvious (and flexible) than an HDMI cable.

Bear in mind, too, that you're going to need an HDMI splitter box at the Blu-ray player to feed both the projector and the receiver.

Juzzie Wuzzie

My technical analysis / knowledge let me down - but standard 5.1 might be enough (and is a step up from stereo) given the compromise required.

Unless thinking outside the square is possible - i.e. lifting carpet to lay cable, or some other solution?

Your hifi system seems "high end" (relatively) so hard to know where to pitch a solution - still with the (ex)-WHF team on the case, you are in good hands.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
with the (ex)-WHF team on the case

Harsh – you could at least have let me just stumble across the contents of my desk in a file-box out on the pavement...

400px-Scroogedshotgun3.jpg

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Try Keene electronics. They have a good range of kit. Including wireless HDMI, that send the signal uncompressed, up to 20 metres. At up to 1080p.

Good hunting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts