wireless audio, low cost and simple

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I am looking to set up a stereo in my bedroom but as I would primarily be using sounds from my laptop I feel it would be bad having wires all over the place, got enough as it is.

I have seen some bluetooth and wifi receivers about but I don't just want the best or best value for money.

I am seeking advise from any windows users with experiance of setting up a bluetooth or wifi transmition from a laptop or pc using one of the smaller devices to plug into an amp or active speakers not some overly bloated hifi thing with that as an extra novelty.

Also a minimum of useless piggybackware or gadgets in software that I won't need to keep it simple ie just to select it as an audio output in software I already have installed or to have it as a simple audio driver without all the other rubbish

also any thoughts on bluetooth vs wifi are welcome.

thanks

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi there!
Although my experience is basically non-specific, it may be of interest to you I guess.

My view is that if your streaming mp3 files from a laptop you will be looking for convenience of use over ultimate sound as the files are already compressed to pieces anyway.
There are several ways of doing this without much cost, we basically use two systems in our house.
The first is with my laptop running Windows 7.
If you right click on an audio (or picture) file and your TV is DNLA certified and already connected to a wireless internet router, you will see the "play to" option (in my case, amogst other choices, I can select "play to Sony KDL-524500").
This command will override whatever is showing on the TV and play the said media file.

The second option I found out quite by accident.
I bought one of those neat watchphones from Japan recently and it came with a separate tiny clip-on bluetooth remote control that had an minijack output for headphones.
As I already have a bluetooth earpiece, I gave the thing to one of my daughters.
She then made a minijack-phono cable and connected it to one of the line in sockets on her amplifier and she can stream from her laptop from up to 30 metres or so.
I have to say I was impressed with the sound quality from such a tiny receiver!

The drawback of course is that you have to charge the remote thingy for an hour every week or so, but it's neat the way it shuts itself down if it doesn't see any bluetooth signal for more than a few minutes.

So, if you can find a cheap bluetooth device that has a minijack out for headphones, it may be worth a try!
It's not ultimate hifi but then neither is mp3
emotion-3.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
does it have to be wireles? - you could just plug your laptop straight into a usb dac and that straight into your intergrated amp - these products are very small and simple to set up - just plug and play

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts