Windows XP and Cubase

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
I used to use Cubase with Windows XP to record and edit the tunes I write. Thinking of recording again - I won't be using my PC/Windows XP to access the internet as there are now no security updates from Microsoft. My other PC has a Linux OS which I can't use with Cubase and even if I could I wouldn't want to as I use it to access the internet.

I recently dug out my old PC and did a fresh install of Window XP. However - due to the unavailability of security updates - I was unable to register Windows XP. I kept getting a message saying basically that I could use XP for 30 days without registering it. I don't want to be making recordings and then having to keep uploading XP every 30 days! Does anyone know a way round this? OR can I just ignore the messages regarding the 30 day cut off. I won't be using my PC/Windows XP for the internet.

abacus

I believe the activation servers for XP were shut down a long time ago, (Hence the error) however most users have found that you can still activate it over the phone. (The phone number and instructions are provided when online activation fails)
BTW: Winddows 10 is free to download and use, with just limitaions on the cutomisation of it.

Bill

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Bill

I believe some people have tried ringing the phone number without success.

Windows XP is my preferred choice for Cubase VST32 - works well with it. I doubt whether it would work with later versions of Windows. Tried it with Windows 7 but it failed.

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try the Registry Editor method. The PC I will be using for XP will be used sorely for working with Cubase and possibly Moviemaker. I won't be using it for accessing the internet.

You advise me to take care if I am not used to editing the registry - I'm not - what could go wrong?

michael hoy

If you do have a go at editing the registry:
When you get to this point - WPAEvents right click and choose export, you will be asked where to save it and give it a name.
Choose desktop and call it backupWPAEvents click save.
If anything goes wrong editing this part of the registry you can restore the original settings by double clicking the saved backupWPAEvents and it will put the settings back,

Reactions: Friesiansam

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
I think I may leave editing the registry.

With regard to activation.

If I remember correctly I did manage to install XP previously by skipping registration and activating via the internet. It got to the point where I was given the option to either register or skip to activation. I selected:
‘No, I don’t want to register now let’s just activate Windows’.

If I remember correctly, I'm sure I successfully activated XP but was then informed that it would only be for 30 days and then I would have to go through the process again - but I can't remember if this was to Register XP or Activate it??? I remember a small key symbol being displayed everytime I logged on with a message being displayed informing me that I had so many days before either Registration or Activation ran out.

If I'm correct with my memory - that would bring me back to my initial problem.

lanchris

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
I used to use Cubase with Windows XP to record and edit the tunes I write. Thinking of recording again - I won't be using my PC/Windows XP to access the internet as there are now no security updates from Microsoft. My other PC has a Linux OS which I can't use with Cubase and even if I could I wouldn't want to as I use it to access the internet.

I recently dug out my old PC and did a fresh install of Window XP. However - due to the unavailability of security updates - I was unable to register Windows XP. I kept getting a message saying basically that I could use XP for 30 days without registering it. I don't want to be making recordings and then having to keep uploading XP every 30 days! Does anyone know a way round this? OR can I just ignore the messages regarding the 30 day cut offtg macro. I won't be using my PC/Windows XP for the internet.
Cubase for Windows XP is one of the leading representatives of professional software for creating music. The program is used by world famous composers, musicians and producers. With its help, many well-known hits were created. There is a huge set of tools for working with sound, writing, mixing, mastering and recording audio.
The graphical shell of this workstation is sharpened by the convenience of work. Management of hot keys is supported, connection of external equipment and musical instruments is available. Installation of plug-ins is possible. You can free download Cubase official latest version for Windows XP in English.

Gray

Cubase for Windows XP is one of the leading representatives of professional software for creating music. The program is used by world famous composers, musicians and producers. With its help, many well-known hits were created. There is a huge set of tools for working with sound, writing, mixing, mastering and recording audio.
The graphical shell of this workstation is sharpened by the convenience of work. Management of hot keys is supported, connection of external equipment and musical instruments is available. Installation of plug-ins is possible. You can free download Cubase official latest version for Windows XP in English.
Nothing to do with it by any chance are you? 🤨

Reactions: Tinman1952

Friesiansam

Nothing to do with it by any chance are you? 🤨
The post reads like badly translated Chinese spam, but Cubase is produced by Steinberg GMBH in Germany and their English language website is properly written. As Cubase is sold directly online, I don’t understand what the possible spammer has to gain, there isn’t even a disguised link. Some spammers have much to learn…

Reactions: Gray

jameslucas

Oct 16, 2022
Visit site
I think I may leave editing the registry.

With regard to activation.

If I remember correctly I did manage to install XP previously by skipping registration and activating via the internet. It got to the point where I was given the option to either register or skip to activation. I selected:
‘No, I don’t want to register now let’s just activate Windows’.

If I remember correctly, I'm sure I successfully activated XP but was then informed that it would only be for 30 days and then I would have to go through the process again - but I can't remember if this was to Register XP or Activate it??? I remember a small key symbol being displayed everytime I logged on with a message being displayed informing me that I had op auto clicker so many days before either Registration or Activation ran out.

If I'm correct with my memory - that would bring me back to my initial problem.
There is a huge set of tools for working with sound, writing, mixing, mastering and recording audio.

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
If you read my initital post you'll notice I won't be using XP for the internet - just for audio recordings of the songs I write (using Cubase) - therefore I don't need security updates.

JoJoBot420

Dec 23, 2020
Visit site
I had a similar situation where I was clinging to my old setup with Windows XP for music production, mostly because of the comfort and familiarity with Cubase. Like you, I faced the frustrating issue of XP's registration and the lack of security updates. Eventually, I realized that constantly battling these limitations wasn't worth my peace of mind or the risk to my work. So, I decided to switch to the new Cubase Upgrade, which was compatible with more current operating systems. This upgrade significantly smoothed out my workflow and allowed me to take advantage of the latest features and security improvements. What I appreciate most about the upgrade is how it maintained the essence of Cubase that I loved, while also introducing new tools and efficiencies that made my music production process more enjoyable and less stressful.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts