Windows Pro Insider Preview

Dom

I'm doing it for fun - Edge browser works better, Windows icons improved, buttons re-arranged, Cortana improvements. It's way better than the vanilla 10 Pro.

Alas sound department has been neglected.

Edit - Thanks for the bug list, thankfully non of those affect me.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
DomCheetham said:
Alas sound department has been neglected.

At least it now has core audio (I think?), since Windows 8. One of my biggest uses for a computer at home is music creation and I left Windows some time ago (2011) because of horrible latency issues that I couldn't ever properly get rid of, even with third party ASIO drivers. But that was Win XP and Win 7. I understand [from reading other forums] that the current Windows is (finally) much improved in that department, but I have no personal experience of it.

Dom

I heard good things about Core Audio Eg USB audio class 2.0. Thats not to say Direct Sound is bad, its not.

I think I have solved the laggy start menu, its down to Cortana'a location feature. It helps with ordering pizza and other stuff. I disabled it.

My computer is also for gaming, but I gone off gaming really. Its still not enough for me to change to Mac OS sadly.

Dom

Edge browser video playback in iPlayer seems to judder every second. Going back to IE browser seems to solve it.

Video looks different in either browser, Edge has a crisp look whilst IE has slight blur to it.

Still cannot open Google or YouTube, contacting BT about it.

Dom

bigboss said:
You can download Chrome browser, for Google and YouTube.

Thank you bigboss, have not yet jumped on the third party browsers yet. Although I was looking at Opera browser, especially its enhanced battery life support. It does not apply to me however since I'm plugged in. I will contact BT first about this.

Dom

I could not open YouTube or Google with Edge or IE, so I installed Opera. Not only does it open YT and Google, but What HiFi pages load ultra fast, as well.

I'm not sure if its the current builds fault, but navigating What HiFi with Edge would be very slow indeed.

I'm sure you will try convince me that other browsers are better, but oh well, Opera is pretty good.

opera_logo_580-100027895-large.jpg

abacus

I use Windows 10 as my main system and also have the insider version as a dual boot system, and have no problems with YouTube or Google on IE or Edge, so it must be a setting somewhere.

As to What Hi Fi, then again I have no problems viewing the website with either (Edge is the faster) however I have to use Chrome for posting as Edge and IE security protocol’s cause problems. (And I am not going to change the settings for one site)

Bill

Dom

abacus said:
I use Windows 10 as my main system and also have the insider version as a dual boot system, and have no problems with YouTube or Google on IE or Edge, so it must be a setting somewhere.

As to What Hi Fi, then again I have no problems viewing the website with either (Edge is the faster) however I have to use Chrome for posting as Edge and IE security protocol’s cause problems. (And I am not going to change the settings for one site)

Bill

I have no idea what that setting could be?

c2fb131f065cecfb7a5b480aa55467e4.jpg

Dom

Did a quick check which browser does YouTube video best, it's clear it's Google Chrome.

I could not compare it to Edge becuase it won't open YouTube with this build. Tested against Opera and FireFox.

I think it had the best sound too.

A very quick test that confirms bigboss preference.

Dom

abacus said:
Download the Mega version, the update and install http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm then re-start your computer to see if this solves the problem. (There is no difference in video or sound on any of the browsers used on my various systems, however Google encourages you to use Chrome as they own YouTube)

Hope this helps

Bill

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I not sure why I would install the Mega K-Lite codec pack for two reasons:

1) This won't help Edge open Youtube or Google I don't think. Page will not be displayed.

2) I have already intalled the lastest MPC-HC which has many if not all the filters that K-Lite installs.

I really don't want to install too many packs if I can.

smoking-computer.jpg

Dom

Newest version 14352 is here.

Cortana, Your Personal DJ.

“Hey Cortana, play <song name>”

“Hey Cortana, play <artist>”

“Hey Cortana, play my <Groove playlist name>”

“Hey Cortana, pause”

We fixed an issue that resulted in the volume mixer slider for system sounds getting reset to 100% after receiving a notification or altering master volume.

So some audio goodies after all.

Dom

I have been listening for two hours on the Groove Music player (A Windows music player?) and it sounds brilliant, but that could just be a placebo, right?

IMO, straight away the mids and highs are more prominent, and keep listening, its a rainbow of tuneful audio. Smooth, delicious and very sweet indeed. The bass is amazing too, aswell, but very controlled and rarely showing its self, and it's just as tuneful.

I'd say the bass lets it down, but wow those mids.

Music, Weather Report - Heavy Weather.

Pogo.

Dom

14361 is out.

Plenty of fixes, TPM chips in some PC's lead to glitchy and choppy audio fix. Apart from that, no audio stuff and no audio USB class 2 drivers.

Seems stable.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS