Will ripping my CDs to 24 bit sounds better?

A

Anonymous

I know CDs only have 16bit/44.1khz. I wonder if I ripping my CDs through Foobar 2000 sounds better? Thanks.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
You can't take a 16bit file and turn it into a 24bit file......it just doesn't work like that. Foobar is just a library system, it can't improve the sound of a file.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Jason36 said:
You can't take a 16bit file and turn it into a 24bit file...
Well, you can, it's quite easy in fact. There isn't any point but you can definitely do it!

So-called up-sampling. I tend to agree that in most circumstances, it going to make little difference.

jjbomber

Some people believe it makes it worse. The extremes of 24-bit are beyond human hearing, so by converting from 16 to 24-bit, you are taking some sounds from within the hearing range to outside it.

T

the record spot

No. You're better off spending the time finding well mastered versions of the recordings you like best. IMO.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
So-called up-sampling. I tend to agree that in most circumstances, it going to make little difference.

A little difference is enough for some, in what circumstances would it make a difference?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ReValveiT said:
jjbomber said:
...by converting from 16 to 24-bit, you are taking some sounds from within the hearing range to outside it.

You aren't.

Correct. All you are doing in this instance is padding out a 16 bit file with zeroes. It won't change the sound at all.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You can take all the documents out of a drawer of a filing cabinet and split it between 2 drawers. It takes up twice as much space but it doesn't add any more information. So no point!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts