will PMC 21 be overkill!!

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade speakers and cd player to go with my creek amp.
First would be the speakers. I am considering pmc 21.
2 questions:

A) will the 21s be overkill for the room size 10 feet by 11?

B) is evolution 50a powerful enough to drive the 21s?

Thanks

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’m not sure why you think they’d be overkill, they are tiny front facing transmission speakers and should be well suited to a small room. I’m not sure if it was just the room I heard them in but be aware of reflection points behind the listening position, I found the transmission line doing odd things in the room when I demoed the 22s.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I’m not sure why you think they’d be overkill, they are tiny front facing transmission speakers and should be well suited to a small room. I’m not sure if it was just the room I heard them in but be aware of reflection points behind the listening position, I found the transmission line doing odd things in the room when I demoed the 22s.

Which brings us to room treatment panels, I run a pair of old PMC's LB1 in a similar sized room, bodging a couple of strategicaly placed folded blankets on the wall had a serious quality affect, need to get the propper panels now.

CJSF

bluedroog said:
I’m not sure why you think they’d be overkill, they are tiny front facing transmission speakers and should be well suited to a small room.

Because of people like davedotco who always bangs on about underpowered amps powering inefficient speakers, except for £50 actives (or equipment only available from outer Zanzibar), of course, which are hi-fi utopia. Can make some people paranoid.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
bluedroog said:

Which brings us to room treatment panels, I run a pair of old PMC's LB1 in a similar sized room, bodging a couple of strategicaly placed folded blankets on the wall had a serious quality affect, need to get the propper panels now.

CJSF

That solution would be okay for dealing with HF issues in a listening room, but would not help at all if the transmission line was misbehaving. A blanket, or any type of wall mounted panel will not control low frequency issues which is all that comes out of a PMC ATL. For that you would need proper bass traps.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Should work well in your room with the current amp. You may need to experiment with the positioning though because of the transmission line.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
bluedroog said:
I’m not sure why you think they’d be overkill, they are tiny front facing transmission speakers and should be well suited to a small room.

Because of people like davedotco who always bangs on about underpowered amps powering inefficient speakers, except for £50 actives (or equipment only available from outer Zanzibar), of course, which are hi-fi utopia. Can make some people paranoid.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean that your amplifier is not underpowered.......!

No such problem in this case, the Creek has a decent power supply and can provide plenty of current to back up it's 55 watt rating.

Use decent stands and keep the speakers clear of the walls and you should be fine.

However, should you find yourself in outer Zanzibar, I heartily recommend an audition of the PMC TwoTwo.5, I was able to have an extended play with these earlier in the year, phenomenal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts