WILL NAD 315BEE DRIVE 200 WATT SPEAKERS ?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Your speakers can't be measured in watts as they have no inherent power of their own. However, the amp is 40w per channel. Whether it is up to driving the speakers depends on their efficiency. If you let us know what they are, it should be possible to give better advice.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
erm .. i dont actually know lol .. they are on sale in a shop (.. name is not familiar to me .. they look like speakers youd see in a nightclub or bar for the club singer to use . wire grill type finish

not really for my use .. will be used in gf house ..new years eve jobby :) cash generator are selling them as new ...they also have 400 watt and 1000 watt models

A

Anonymous

TALON1973:

erm .. i dont actually know lol .. they are on sale in a shop (.. name is not familiar to me .. they look like speakers youd see in a nightclub or bar for the club singer to use . wire grill type finish

not really for my use .. will be used in gf house ..new years eve jobby :) cash generator are selling them as new ...they also have 400 watt and 1000 watt models

uh-oh, I hear bells ringing, red flags flying and empty cans of worms all over the floor...but that's just my opinion !!!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like these are PA/disco speakers and incompatible with a relatively low-powered hi-fi amp. Amps like this are also incompatible with New Year bashes unless the music is going to be playing relatively quietly in the background!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:It sounds like these are PA/disco speakers and incompatible with a relatively low-powered hi-fi amp. Amps like this are also incompatible with New Year bashes unless the music is going to be playing relatively quietly in the background!

There's no reason not to use them with a hifi amplifier. Nad's, as far as I know, also have clipping/overload protection. 40W, depending on speaker sensitivity is plenty to go loud. He didn't ask whether it will sound incredible, nor does it seem to matter in this case.

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Agreed this is a recipe for disaster. They are indeed PA speakers and not even good ones. Tinny, boxy, rough sound, Intimidation and Peavey are two of the worst little PA manufacturers. Plus you (or your partygoers) are likely to do damage to these by turning up the amp too far, the connections are different from home hifi too... It's just a non-starter to be honest.

Maybe you could lay your hands on a sub for the evening?
emotion-55.gif

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
connections are fine ... its takes bare wire .. although does have another for something i'm not familiar with ...

like i said i dont care if they are brilliant .. its for gf house .. wil probably go to gf son anyway at the end of the day as an xmas prezzy .. 18 years would love oversized speakers .. they look like they do alot , but really not much lol

i might not even use my nad .. just pick ujp a 2nd hand cheapo for it and away we go ..

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
lol .. whats with the " i gave up" statements ? i'm not buying for my own personal use

still got my trusty mission 780se and for headphone use sen hd600

my mrs likes a good new years .. and i want to give it to her "coughs" :p

A

Anonymous

TALON1973:

lol .. whats with the " i gave up" statements ? i'm not buying for my own personal use

Sorry Tallon, only having a bit of fun, but would suggest that your 'GF' might appreciate quality acoustics rather than loud bombastic muffled noise; just like it would appear that you do. Just 'cos she likes a good party doesn't mean she can't have both imo ?! I'm sure you can do better...why don't you use your Missions or is that a step too far ??!!

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Think I see what your driving at here.. don't want the real hifi damaged in the festive fracas
emotion-5.gif

If you do give it a go (and it sounds like you are) maybe put the amp out of reach... the concern is that the intimidations probably aren't very sensitive, and with alcohol fuelling things and only 40watts on tap.. turning up an amp like this too far in order to drive big insensitive speakers is far more likely to do damage than using a bigger amp (at equivalent volumes).

If these are second hand I would urge you to have a good long listen before you buy... the tweeters are extremely prone to blowing, you might think their industrial nature gives them lots of protection but you'd be wrong.. far harder to blow an EV or Mackie

T

the record spot

TALON1973:

For similar money, Richer Sounds will sell you a pair of Q Acoustics 1030i floorstanders for £99 (as per the ad in this month's copy I think, either that or £119). They will cane the PA speakers in a domestic setting. On a tight budget, that's all you'll need and the 315 will be fine as the 1030i sensitivity is pretty high from memory. Hence, they'll go loud and when the hangover's cleared they'll still be easy on the eye for the young lad on January 2nd (or 3rd)!

Of course, Richer Sounds give you the additional one year warranty that won't come with the Cash Generator deal. Think I know where my £100 might go...!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:TALON1973:

For similar money, Richer Sounds will sell you a pair of Q Acoustics 1030i floorstanders for £99 (as per the ad in this month's copy I think, either that or £119). They will cane the PA speakers in a domestic setting. On a tight budget, that's all you'll need and the 315 will be fine as the 1030i sensitivity is pretty high from memory. Hence, they'll go loud and when the hangover's cleared they'll still be easy on the eye for the young lad on January 2nd (or 3rd)!

Of course, Richer Sounds give you the additional one year warranty that won't come with the Cash Generator deal. Think I know where my £100 might go...!that sounds like a plan rs
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes and no . If you crank your speakers up it will be starved for power because your amp - will run them - but you have to be careful they don" clip and the end result would be damaged speakers . Another words your amp is not sufficient enough to run 200 watt speakers to its potential .

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
the problems goign the richer sounds route is that i live 55 miles away from my nearest store ( cardiff ) .. and i have a major bee in my bonnet about rs advertising stuff online and you cant order it for delivery.... whats the point in that ??? my nearest quality store is audio t in swansea ( used to use them alot in the old days ) .. but cant see them having them as cheap

i like my missions in my own house thanks lol .. only bit of original hi-fi kit ive still got .. gone through alot of high-ish end stuff and now back to budget set-up . one luxury being my senns .. oh and my rega p3 tt :D

T

the record spot

Failing Richer Sounds, try Superfi who offered a similar price. Maybe they've one nearer to you?

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
well superfi do have online delivery ... and tbh i think are a better company to deal with ( have experience with both )

considerign the cost .. ...hmm

are the q speakers better than my old missions is the question ?? if so then maybe get them for myself and mission go to gf house for fun

T

the record spot

I would say not, if you are comparing the 780SE with the 1030i. Compared to the DJ boomboxes though, the Qs are the pick. I would hang on to the Missions if you're thinking about which ones to keep. Very well rated in their day by reviewers of this very parish.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
yeah i know the mission 780se are good .. ( multi award WH winners ) bought them way back when on those reviews .. but i wonder how good they are now against speakers that are costing about £100 ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts