Will my 685s damage my iPod?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, next week I'm getting B&W 685 and Nad C325BEE amp.

My iPod will be docked in between the speakers (each speaker about 50cm away from the iPod), and the 685s aren't magnetically shielded, should i be worried about the speakers ruining my iPod?? 

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Which iPod do you have? If it's a touch/nano then no problems as there are no magnetic parts. Classics and Videos are slightly different.

TBH, 50cm away from a disk-based iPod isn't going to be a problem, but I wouldn't keep any magnetic disk directly on top of a speaker for any length of time if the speaker isn't shielded... it may be ok in the short term, but you risk data loss over time...

A

Anonymous

ON YOUR SPEAKER? are they 685s?

ÿ

Yes I have a fifth gen video iPod, but in the new year will upgrade to the new iPod Classic.ÿ

ÿ

So you think it will be okay??ÿ

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Some of us don't have quite such palatial dwellings Andrew... me included (although I manage a heady 1.5m between my speakers)...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:And anyway, only 1m between the speakers is far too little, unless you're only sitting about 85cm from the plane of the speakers
ÿ

True, this is temporary (well about a year), until I move out.

It would probably be more like 1.5 meters (I know I know), and I would sit about 2 meters away.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Some of us don't have quite such palatial dwellings Andrew... me included (although I manage a heady 1.5m between my speakers)...
emotion-1.gif

A palatial dwelling? On a WHFSV salary? 'Avin' a giraffe, ain'cha?

And anyway, almost 2m is much better than 1m when it comes to getting a decent stereo image.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:True, but I'm running Naims, so there's not too much of that anyway...!

a) So why use them?

b) I've never encountered this Naim lack of image thing.

A

Anonymous

Talk about a thread hi-jack!

SO, my iPod will be safe in your opinions? Even with prolonged and LOUD playing?

Taÿ

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes.

Sorry Pmaninit...I'll keep it brief.

Andrew - Because I have always wanted a Naim Pre/power, love the detail and sound they give and due to the layout of my room (down to Mrs.FBSF), being sat truly on-axis isn't a possibility anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts