Will I benefit?? Big boss,NickTHCC,FrankH

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

I have the chance of upgrading my LCR KEF 2001's which still sound fine but they were the 1st Eggs released. The speakers to upgrade with are the KEF 3001se's to which I can get for a very good price, so my question is "will I benefit from this?" in the past ppl on here have commented on my amp needing better speakers, are the 3001se better than my current eggs? I watch 80% movie listen 20% music. Will I see much of an improvement? My amp is also old but of very good quality, pre HDMI but HD AUDIO is sent from the CA 650bd.

Imo its all good equipment but if these speakers will improve I shall buy, I can't afford Apex lol but maybe the Non HD Radius.

Many thanks for reading.

I haven't heard the KEF 2001 so cannot comment on improvement over this. However, I'm assuming that the 3001 is likely to be at least as good as, if not better than the 2001. I've heard the 3001. MA Radius (non-HD) is slightly more revealing than the KEFs.

What's your budget? Are you looking at style speakers only?

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I haven't heard the KEF 2001 so cannot comment on improvement over this. However, I'm assuming that the 3001 is likely to be at least as good as, if not better than the 2001. I've heard the 3001. MA Radius (non-HD) is slightly more revealing than the KEFs.

What's your budget? Are you looking at style speakers only?
My understanding is that the 3001's are the last of the eggs where as mine are 10yrs old. 3001's slight bigger driver in a bigger cabinet which is sealed. Style speaker keeps Mrs Stagg happy as it does me also, MA is definitely a contender... I really like the style of it but would I keep an eye out for a 90,180,225,250? 270 is not an option as I need them wall mounted.

Thanks for you're reply btw

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ah, the speaker package that kick started the lifestyle craze - the original 2005's.

The current 2005.3's that are the latest incarnation of your originals, do represent an uprgade, but I would say that a little over 50% of that increase would partly be due to the sub. And as the 3005se is quite a step over the 2005.3's, you can rest assure that they are better than the original 2005's too.

One thing I would say - the 3001 satellites aren't sealed - they are ported at the rear, but you do get some foam bungs to plug them if they're used near a wall.

I would say that it might be worth looking at subs, as the quality of satellite speakers does somewhat rely on the subwoofer's abilities. But, if these 3005's are only available for a short period of time, then go for them - the sub can be looked at later. If you're talking about being able to get hold of the whole 3005 package (it's not 100% clear if you're only talking a out the front LCR or everything), then the HTB2se that comes with the 3005's is a good sub, and will represent quite a step up over your 2005 package sub.

The Radius range will be better with music, but I do find the 3005's better with movies.

Your receiver isn't necessarily overkill - I may have said this to you before, but the 3005's are quite at home with £1500 receivers, with which they tend to sound their best. Obviously an upgrade to a HD receiver at some point will take your system further.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Ah, the speaker package that kick started the lifestyle craze - the original 2005's.

The current 2005.3's that are the latest incarnation of your originals, do represent an uprgade, but I would say that a little over 50% of that increase would partly be due to the sub. And as the 3005se is quite a step over the 2005.3's, you can rest assure that they are better than the original 2005's too.

One thing I would say - the 3001 satellites aren't sealed - they are ported at the rear, but you do get some foam bungs to plug them if they're used near a wall.

I would say that it might be worth looking at subs, as the quality of satellite speakers does somewhat rely on the subwoofer's abilities. But, if these 3005's are only available for a short period of time, then go for them - the sub can be looked at later. If you're talking about being able to get hold of the whole 3005 package (it's not 100% clear if you're only talking a out the front LCR or everything), then the HTB2se that comes with the 3005's is a good sub, and will represent quite a step up over your 2005 package sub.

The Radius range will be better with music, but I do find the 3005's better with movies.

Your receiver isn't necessarily overkill - I may have said this to you before, but the 3005's are quite at home with £1500 receivers, with which they tend to sound their best. Obviously an upgrade to a HD receiver at some point will take your system further.
Thank you for you're reply, at the mo it's just the front 3 I have the chance of upgrading, the sub would be upgraded at a later date, I prefer to save and do cash so it takes a little longer. Btw I looked and saw a rear port which like you say can be bunged.

Decisions eh lol

Its now Monday morning and seller has sold them! :-(

But I have noticed a seller in my town selling MA 180's which could be a contender. They white and mint, I could use for surround duties and then in time replace front three with similar or the larger options.

MA rough given price was £100, is that good?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts