Will HDR or Dolby Vision be added to Full HD sets

Readingfan

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
As not everyone can accommodate huge TV sets and therefore "benefit" from additional pixels , will HDR which would be a massive improvement for contrast and wide colour gamut , appear on Full HD sets of say 32" anytime soon.

at these sizes more pixels cannot be perceived but HDR and Dolby Vision could deliver notable improvements.

I have a Panasonic UB9000 4K HDR player and on my HD set this already delivers superior sound and vision over my old DMP 500 which was a class winner when purchased.

I wonder if this is capable of delivering HDR to a compatible Full HD TV if HDR was added as a feature?

Any thoughts

Paul.

It could be added, and easily. It just requires a brighter backlight and a quantum dot layer, wouldn't be hard to do. With software the tv could spoof the 4K metadata to receive HDR content and just down sample the resolution.

the more important question is would the industry do that, and the answer to that is doubtful.

its very rare to see a 32" tv above £300 so the draw for manufacturers to add high end features is low. Add to that the inevitability of 32" 4K panels for pc monitors, it will be cheaper to use these panels when price comes down.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
At least in US retail stores.

I just got an email offer for a decent brand 32 inch 1080p set for $200 plus tax (8.25% in Texas). That's about 150 quid.

There's no technical reason why HDR (which refers to the spectrum of colours not the number of pixels displaying them) couldn't be added to 1080p TVs, but given the UK broadcasters don't, erm, broadcast, in HDR and given 1080p is all but dead, I doubt you'll see it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts