Will an entry level stereo separates system sound better than a Naim Mu-So

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Anavrin

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

It’s been a while since I first asked the question above, still have my Muso but I’m very close to buying something now.

I found a pair of mint KEF Cresta 2 bookshelf speakers, with stands on Facebook market place, I know they’re an old model from the 90’s but read some still positive reviews and I picked them up for £60

Of corse I didn’t have anything to test them with so I bought a cheap Chinese DAC off Amazon, it has Bluetooth, USB B, plus analogue/digital inputs and 40w per channel output.

Its certainly not HiFi quality but is drives the speakers and I finally got the stereo separation I’d been missing with the Muso, I thought for a short while it sounded better, until I went back to the Muso for a comparison, as you would expect, the Muso blows it away for music quality.

So I think I’m going to get myself the Naim Uniti Atom, I’ll keep my cheap Cresta 2’s for now and see how I get on, if I can get the Naim sound I enjoy from the Muso, in stereo I’ll be a happy bunny.

The Uniti Star is the one I really want but the cheap Chinese amp has demonstrated that I don’t need any more power for my room and I can’t really justify spending the extra cash, I’ve always got the option to upgrade the speakers at a later date.

rainsoothe

As others have said, if you like Naim, it's hard to like most other stuff. And yes, cheaper stereo will sound better than one expensive speaker.

If you're on a budget and don't need HDMI or some other stuff you get on the atom, I'd really look into sh Unitiqute 2, or Unitilite or Uniti2.

F

FunkyMonkey

One thing that made me consider a Muso was the fact it is not just one speaker. It is an array of speakers. Arguably, more drivers adn amps than a traditional stereo set up.

Now, the other thing is that it has room calibration software built in.

And I always thought Naim was a flat-earth brand.

So in short, Naim shoudl sound better than a budget system.

However, for the price of a Naim Muso you can buy an (stereo) receiver with wifi and bluetooth built in, a chromecast, a decent pair of speakers, and a turntable.

So to me it comes down to aesthetics and not sound.

Anavrin

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Well I’ve bit the bullet and ordered a Naim Uniti Star.

I will have to wait until mid July for delivery but I’m excited already, so much so I’ve been up in the attic already, bringing down boxes of long forgotten CD’s.

I guess I’ve taken my own thread off topic now, my idea for a budget stereo system, has been well and truly blown!

Although I did get it on 3 years interest free credit so it’s not totally breaking the bank :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Anavrin said:

I will have to wait until mid July for delivery but I’m excited already, so much so I’ve been up in the attic already, bringing down boxes of long forgotten CD’s.

I guess I’ve taken my own thread off topic now, my idea for a budget stereo system, has been well and truly blown!

Although I did get it on 3 years interest free credit so it’s not totally breaking the bank :)

Hearty congratulations. A true upgrade in every sense of the word . I can understand the excitement. These new purchases occasionally bring out the kids in us. Fondly hope you enjoy your new kit to the hilt :)

rainsoothe

newlash09 said:
Anavrin said:

Although I did get it on 3 years interest free credit so it’s not totally breaking the bank :)

Hearty congratulations. A true upgrade in every sense of the word . I can understand the excitement. These new purchases occasionally bring out the kids in us. Fondly hope you enjoy your new kit to the hilt :)

+1 :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts