Will a center speaker make a difference?

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I have my samsung 46D6530 connected to my old 601's via the ARC HD connection to my Onkyo 609. However the sound is still quite poor especially the dialogue. I also use the set-up for music and I have the following questions:

Is the ARC HD connection the best way to connect the TV?

Will a center speaker improve the sound for both movies and music significantly?

Do I need to get new speakers?

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Does the 609 know you don't have a centre speaker? Have you got it set to stereo, rather than something like pro-logic?

Hi

Yes the 609 is set up in stereo without the centre, but still doesnt sound great in my oppinion!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes.. Center speaker makes a huge difference for movies. Even if you watch 40% movies, pls get a center speaker.

For music listeninf, with AVRs extra speakers beyond left & right speakers is a hit or miss.. I used to have Denon 1910 and it played music better in 5 channel model (I think the room configuration at that time has to do with it).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Muzza said:
The_Lhc said:
Does the 609 know you don't have a centre speaker? Have you got it set to stereo, rather than something like pro-logic?

Hi

Yes the 609 is set up in stereo without the centre, but still doesnt sound great in my oppinion!

I don't know if this is even possible but have you told the TV to output stereo through the ARC connection?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Muzza said:
Clare Newsome said:
What are your speakers?

Hi

They are a pair of B&W 601's.

Thanks - they shouldn't be a particular problem, then.

Going back to the output question - do you have the TV set to output in stereo, or native? And does the TV sound bad with all channels, or just some? Just trying to rule out any problems with the TV outputting a Dolby 5.1 signal (from BBC HD, for example) and that getting lost in transaltion in the Onkyo.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Muzza said:
Clare Newsome said:
What are your speakers?

Hi

They are a pair of B&W 601's.

Thanks - they shouldn't be a particular problem, then.

Going back to the output question - do you have the TV set to output in stereo, or native? And does the TV sound bad with all channels, or just some? Just trying to rule out any problems with the TV outputting a Dolby 5.1 signal (from BBC HD, for example) and that getting lost in transaltion in the Onkyo.

Hi

I havent changed the TV sound setting so it will be still in the default mode (not sure what that is!!). I haven't noticed any real difference between channels though.

TRENDING THREADS