Wifi in Hifi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
andyjm said:
MajorFubar said:
Your first sentence is the crucial difference. My wifi devices can find upto 19 different networks within range of my home at any one time, only one of which is mine. The least-congested channel changes almost daily. I had to install home plugs because sometimes my TV can't stream even a DVD-quality film from my NAS fast enough to play it, because the wifi connection speed is bottlenecked by airwave congestion. It's even worse if the kids are watching YouTube on their tablets or playing online RPGs with their pals. You lucky folks living in the wilderness where you alone are creating the only wifi traffic are in a different universe to the one many of us live in. Those of us who struggle with wifi don't necessarily do so because we're technological cretins or because we can't be arsed to set up a wifi system properly.

My mother is in a similar situation. It is a problem.

Have you tried switching to 5GHz? There are more channels and 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz, which sounds counter-intuitive, but if a neighbour is on the same 5GHz channel, it will have less effect as the signal will suffer greater attenuation before it reaches your house.

This is good advice. You could also try to agree a channel plan with the neighbours. It takes a bit of effort and you might get a few funny looks, but it can make a big difference for everyone involved. Stick to channels 1, 6 and 11 for the 2.4GHz band to avoid overlap.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Strictly Stereo said:
Stick to channels 1, 6 and 11 for the 2.4GHz band to avoid overlap.

This would be good advice for the US, but in the UK we have channels 12 and 13, so you can go with 1,5, 9, 13 which gives you one more channel to play with.

These aren't magic channels, you just need to aim for a 5 channel gap for ideal separation, but 4 will do at a pinch. So if your neighbours are using channel 2 on one side of you and 10 on the other, then channel 6 will give a 4 channel gap each way.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
andyjm said:
This would be good advice for the US, but in the UK we have channels 12 and 13, so you can go with 1,5, 9, 13 which gives you one more channel to play with.

These aren't magic channels, you just need to aim for a 5 channel gap for ideal separation, but 4 will do at a pinch. So if your neighbours are using channel 2 on one side of you and 10 on the other, then channel 6 will give a 4 channel gap each way.

Better to avoid overlapping channels altogether, surely? I take your point though and can see how a four channel strategy would help in a situation like this.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
My mother is in a similar situation. It is a problem.

Have you tried switching to 5GHz? There are more channels and 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz, which sounds counter-intuitive, but if a neighbour is on the same 5GHz channel, it will have less effect as the signal will suffer greater attenuation before it reaches your house.

Sorry for slow reply, I haven't been on the forum. Only some of my devices can use 5gHz, crucially the TV isn't one of them. Homeplugs were my solution, perhaps look into this for your mum if it's practical? My only point really was to just keep in view that some of us struggling with wifi are only doing so because of circumstances beyond our control.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
interesting article here about using foil lined wifi reflectors in the home to increase wifi coverage - https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/dc-aw110717.php

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts