wifi for all devices

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a non techi I have not found a simple solution to my needs - to play all my audio/video wirelessly ie from mac, pc, ipod, iphone etc. I have apple TV which is a part solution. Is this simple a router issue? or am I missing a point?

thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
What exactly are you trying to achieve and what issues are you facing? The Apple TV will stream videos and music from iTunes installed on your Mac or PC. If it's a newer second gen Apple TV, you can stream music and video direct from your iPod Touch (2G or above) or iPhone (3G or above) to it as long as Touch / iPhone are running the latest iOS 4.2 software. Unfortunately the old first gen Apple TV doesn't allow this.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
professorhat:
What exactly are you trying to achieve and what issues are you facing? The Apple TV will stream videos and music from iTunes installed on your Mac or PC. If it's a newer second gen Apple TV, you can stream music and video direct from your iPod Touch (2G or above) or iPhone (3G or above) to it as long as Touch / iPhone are running the latest iOS 4.2 software. Unfortunately the old first gen Apple TV doesn't allow this.

professorhat

Please help me here also, am I right in thinking then that Apple tv (new gen) is the same thing as AE but with on demand video and vodeo playback from pc and mac devices as well as iTunes

And, is Apple tv the "better" purchase due to the above?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fayeanddavid:am I right in thinking then that Apple tv (new gen) is the same thing as AE but with on demand video and vodeo playback from pc and mac devices as well as iTunes

Kind of, though the Airport Express also offers some other functions like including a DAC, being able to create a wireless network (if necessary) and offers wireless printing by connecting a USB printer to its USB port.

fayeanddavid:And, is Apple tv the "better" purchase due to the above?
Depends on your needs. If just for streaming over an existing wireless network, then yes as you can also add video streaming to it. If you just want to stream music to a stereo amp without also having to buy a DAC, or want to have wireless printing etc. then the AE is a better bet.

A

Anonymous

If ur kit (tv,bdplayer,amp,mediastreamer) is new it may well have dlna built-in -
then theres no need to buy extra kit like AppleTV, or Airport Express.

If ur really want to get into streaming video -for example dvd rips then - a proper mediaplayer like an Xstreamer, PlayonHD, or WDLive might be a better alternative than an AppleTV.

That way you dont get stuck with poor format support and video quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts