Wife wants invisible speakers! (for Marantz set-up) - any ideas, anyone?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Upgrading hi-fi for first time in many years - and have acquired a Marantz set-up of PM-7001 KI amp, CD-6000 OSE KI deck, and SD-4051 cassette deck (really!) - with ST-7001 or Denon TU-1800 DAB tuner to follow.

Trouble is, wife has now declared she doesn't want any of those 'big brown boxes' cluttering up the place - and with a big room of 8m by 4m to fill with sound - I'm in a quandry! We generally listen to post-70s rock, pop and singer-songwriters at fairly low volume.

I was thinking of Monitor Audio BR5 or B&W CM1s - but she wants tiny speakers (all round the room if necessary - 'like the Bose ones they have in shops') rather than two big ones.

Yes, I know it's a compromise between proper sound and domestic bliss - but someone else must have faced this dilemma - so all ideas welcome! I would get away with CM1s on the floor (no stands) if they are located in less than ideal positions, but there must be a better solution.

Budget up to £1000 - perhaps more if it really solves the problem. Go on, winning suggestions will be lavished with praise, I promise...

A

Anonymous

what about linn sekrits or diskreets? not sure if i spelt those right as Linn like changing c's to k's and stuff. but they're in wall/ceiling speakers.

http://www.linn.co.uk/music_systems_inwall_loudspeaker_system

or their classik speakers are ok.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
I found myself in the same position about this time last year, I ended up with the Bose Accoustimass 5. I managed to get a reasonable discount which helped convince me, as they are expensive for what you get.

In all fairness to Bose, the sound the Accoustimass 5 produce is astonishing and I am actually now very happy with the sound. Taking some time to place the sub in the right position does pay dividends.

The important bit is that the wife is happy as you really do not notice the speakers (wall mounted on Bose brackets at £20 each!), but when you put the music on boy do you hear them!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at the ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures. They are only about 25cm high and 15cm wide, available in high quality wood finish and would wipe the floor with the Bose. They retail at £925 and are superb speakers, just got some for my kitchen, which for the same reasons I'm wall mounting (not ideal but hey!!!). They are forgiving and the sound is what I can only describe as detailed, a great soundstage, sound that belies the size big time, and the mid/treble is wonderful.

Try audiologica.co.uk as he may have some for a discount.

Very very good speakers and good looking to boot.

A

Anonymous

.....and don't forget the Dali Phantom series.......they have the Euphonia/Helicon/Ikon all available as in-wall speakers. Check out http://www.dali.dk.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What about the Jamo in wall speakers http://www.jamo.co.uk/Default.aspx?ID=6039&M=Shop&PID=17169&ProductID=17922 These are the in wall version of the very well reviewed C803. C 803
WHAT HI-FI?, UK 5 stars
Mar 2007

"They deliver one of the finest sounds ever available at this price"

"The speaker's unfussy nature extends to music. It'll play whatever genre you want without complaint. White Stripes fans will love the C803's attack and bass kick, while the classical listener will adore the C803's ability to float a credible stereo image and deliver wide-ranging dynamics at will. Such qualities shine through when these Jamos are asked to replay the likes of Mahler's Fifth Symphony. We can't think of another speaker at this price level that sounds so authoritative while still delivering class leading insight and agility."

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]You should be at work Dr Sam![/quote]

Haha!........please don't tell the patients mate ;) How did u know I masquerade during the day as a medic?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Have a look at the ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures. They are only about 25cm high and 15cm wide, available in high quality wood finish and would wipe the floor with the Bose. They retail at £925 and are superb speakers, just got some for my kitchen, which for the same reasons I'm wall mounting (not ideal but hey!!!). They are forgiving and the sound is what I can only describe as detailed, a great soundstage, sound that belies the size big time, and the mid/treble is wonderful.

Try audiologica.co.uk as he may have some for a discount.

Very very good speakers and good looking to boot.[/quote] seems like these have gone up in price since i bought mine, but they really are fantastic, and i've not even got the best source/amp i should have running them!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Get a new wife?[/quote]

.........and only compromise on the hifi as a last resort? I like your style Charlie ;) This is why my hifi has been bought before any of these wifey shenannigans ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"][quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Get a new wife?[/quote]

.........and only compromise on the hifi as a last resort? I like your style Charlie ;) This is why my hifi has been bought before any of these wifey shenannigans ;)[/quote] bet she'll make you put the hifi in rubbish positions when you do get one though, or not listen at decent volumes!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fast eddie"][quote user="Sam Srivastava"][quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Get a new wife?[/quote]

.........and only compromise on the hifi as a last resort? I like your style Charlie ;) This is why my hifi has been bought before any of these wifey shenannigans ;)[/quote] bet she'll make you put the hifi in rubbish positions when you do get one though, or not listen at decent volumes![/quote]

..............please don't depress me!........besides, if she's good, i'll get her a decent set-up in the kitchen ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"]besides, if she's good, i'll get her a decent set-up in the kitchen ;)[/quote]

.........thought i should clarify that i am clearly just joking ;).........i'm not stupid enough to waste a hifi in the kitchen

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Sam Srivastava"].besides, if she's good, i'll get her a decent set-up in the kitchen ;)[/quote]

Yikes, more Terry & June. Or is it Bless This House? Have we got so post-New Man that we're all back where we, unfortunately, started?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Terry and June was actually very underrated. My missus was listening to a tune in the car today and suggested that it would sound wonderful on a good hifi - HAHAHAHA she's finally understanding hifi, although it pains her to talk about said hifi as it would be giving me more credit than I deserve.

ooooh matron

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"]..............please don't depress me!........besides, if she's good, i'll get her a decent set-up in the kitchen ;)[/quote]just talking from experience of girlfriends! think i need a decent set up in the kitchen, can you get me one too? :)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
It's a bit of a tricky one simon228, as many of the speakers I'm thinking of are more suited to surround duties than hi-fi. I've not looked at any that are a match for something like CM1's in stereo.

That said, I am buying some MS Avant Architect in-wall speakers for our living room. I'm installing the front 3 in a false partition next to the TV, and the rear two either in the rear (plasterboard) wall, or if that's not a goer, in the ceiling. Hiding a sub behind the sofa !

The thing I liked about the MS stuff is it's (supposedly) fairly easy to paint the grilles, and have them blend in with your decor. This pleased the gaffer no end.

There are similar paintable B&W speakers, but they were a bit out of my price range at around £300 each. They may fit your requirements though, although I don't imagine they'll sound anything like a £600 stereo pair. You can't toe them in for starters !

My missus was the driving force behind my search, as (quite fairly I s'pose) she wanted the living room to look less like a cinema. She is letting me convert the garage though, so all my "big boxes" will find a new home there, when I get round to it.

Hope you find something !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="simon228"]Budget up to £1000 - perhaps more if it really solves the problem. Go on, winning suggestions will be lavished with praise, I promise...[/quote]

These, perhaps?

A

Anonymous

Didn't wharfedale have some picture fram speakers that you literally hang on your wall with whatever picture you like on the front and the double as (electrostatic) hifi speakers?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]Didn't wharfedale have some picture fram speakers that you literally hang on your wall with whatever picture you like on the front and the double as (electrostatic) hifi speakers?[/quote]

Yes, Wharfedale LoudPanels. Only trouble was they a) needed a subwoofer and b) sounded pretty nasty once to you stopped making all the allowances for them being flat.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again......it'd be really useful if we could a custom install speaker review in the mag. I understand the team are looking at how best to achieve this......but it's not easy

A

Anonymous

How about these?
speaker2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts