Why the different playback quality ~ cdp/dac versus apple lossless/dac??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just copied a few cds into itunes using apple losless with error correction on, and then listened to them through my hifi setup with dac attached. After a lengthy A/B comparison over my cdp/dac setup (switching between itunes on optical and cdp on coax) i was left pretty underwhelmed by the itunes/dac set up. It didnt give a 'real/engaging' sound compared to the cdp/dac, a bit dull.... I dont have a coax out on my pc to hook up to the dac to do a optical/coax cable comparison, or is this issue more upstream.

I dont understand why there is such a difference given that all things should be equal on playback, or am i missing something?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fergs:I have just copied a few cds into itunes using apple losless with error correction on, and then listened to them through my hifi setup with dac attached. After a lengthy A/B comparison over my cdp/dac setup (switching between itunes on optical and cdp on coax) i was left pretty underwhelmed by the itunes/dac set up. It didnt give a 'real/engaging' sound compared to the cdp/dac, a bit dull.... I dont have a coax out on my pc to hook up to the dac to do a optical/coax cable comparison, or is this issue more upstream.

I dont understand why there is such a difference given that all things should be equal on playback, or am i missing something?

Try ripping it in Windows Media Player in WMA Lossless and see what you think. It might be something to do with the ITunes setting. You should be hearing a better sound.

manicm

Gerrardasnails:fergs:I have just copied a few cds into itunes using apple losless with error correction on, and then listened to them through my hifi setup with dac attached. After a lengthy A/B comparison over my cdp/dac setup (switching between itunes on optical and cdp on coax) i was left pretty underwhelmed by the itunes/dac set up. It didnt give a 'real/engaging' sound compared to the cdp/dac, a bit dull.... I dont have a coax out on my pc to hook up to the dac to do a optical/coax cable comparison, or is this issue more upstream. I dont understand why there is such a difference given that all things should be equal on playback, or am i missing something? Try ripping it in Windows Media Player in WMA Lossless and see what you think. It might be something to do with the ITunes setting. You should be hearing a better sound.

I agree, WMP and WMA Lossless are criminally underrated things (for pure playback nothing beats the former).

Also, if you like iTunes, but at the expense of disk space, try ripping in AIFF - great sound quality - as I'm one of the rare headcases who thinks Apple Lossless is not sliced bread.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Could try d'ling Media Monkey and ripping in FLAC for full comparison, I actually use dbPowerAmp to rip myself but bizarrely Media Monkey seems to sound better for playback. I use a media streamer for actual playback however, I think that's likely to produce better results than playing directly from a PC.

A

Anonymous

Make sure you have the iTunes volume slider fully up.

A

Anonymous

thanks. will try wmp firstly as i didnt think it was compatable with itunes. report my findings later....

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fergs:thanks. will try wmp firstly as i didnt think it was compatable with itunes.

Far as lossless file formats are concerned, it isnt. Unless you use uncompressed WAV files - your alac files wont work in wmp.

It isnt really important here but i think 2 or 3 players sound better than wmp, and they give alac and/or flac support when wmp doesnt. However, ive known wmp longer and just prefer using it. Mostly it is just familiarity, im sure, but im not sure its entirely that - other players could be more user friendly.

A

Anonymous

Just ran the A/B comparison with WAV files and can report NO significant difference in playback quality. The cdp/dac is still way better.

Any other thoughts?

A

Anonymous

>or is this issue more upstream.<

Maybe. Even if your rip CD using a lossless format, you still have to get a bit-perfect stream back into the DAC for replay. On Windows XP you need an ASIO driver for your soundcard, on Vista one that supports WASAPI, otherwise the bitstream could be being resampled in the WIndows mixer and generally messed about.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
This is why I don't regard plugging a PC directly into a DAC as being a sensible way to play lossless files. I'd always recommend using a network streamer (Squeezebox, Sonos, etc) so you know the PC is doing anything stupid.

A

Anonymous

Its all about how the digital media is set up.

I ran a Musical Fidelity KW SACD (£4000) vs a CA DacMagic - Apple Lossless Files.

It wasnt as far off as youd expect - the cheap DAC was my limiting factor imo. Trying a High end DAC soon - I think then it will be nothing in it at all.

How was your PC to DAC to Hifi all connected?

davydmx

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi. I recommend you install Foobar 2000, with(important) the WASAPI plug-in. The improvement, sound wise, over itunes is an eye opener. And possibly, i think your music files can continue to 'live' inside wmp library(if you want), so you use Foobar only for playback.

I have similar arrangement, where my music collection resides in itunes library(great for organizing, album art, sync with ipod, etc), then for playback, Foobar can 'see' the library and play anything in it(with right plug-ins, Foobar will play almost any file...)

Less complicated than it sounds!! I also recently added a quality usb cable, which did cost £45, but was well worth it for SQ improvement!

A

Anonymous

the sony vaio pc is connected to the dac via a standard sony optical cable. The cdp is connected to the DAC with coax. The DAC is connected to the amp with reputable interconnects.

I will look at the foobar option but dont really want to add another layer to this process if i can help it.

What I cant pinpoint is where this differnce in playback quality lays, as my understanding is that the pc and cdp should be sending the DAC the same information.......

A

Anonymous

Hi

It seems unlikely that the difference is in the source, cd vs. ripped (there might be minor read errors but not a consistent dullness).

Possibilities:
[*]The pc does something with the source: check volume level 100%, balance even, and check your sound card driver setting (it might be resampling or perhaps even add digital processing, bass boost or whatever)[*]The dac does not handle coax and optical in the same way (seems unlikely but I do not know the dac)[*]There is something wrong with the optical connection (like a lot of jitter and your dac does not reclock the incoming signal),
Easiest test is to use USB between pc and dac, bypassing the soundcard of the pc altogether, and make sure that you play at 100% volume / equal balance (both master & wave out settings).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts