Why no On/In Wall Speaker Tests/Reviews?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Would it be possible to run the above in the mag? There are lots of suitable candidates eg Dali Phantom, PMC Wafer, Tannoy iW6 TDC, Meridian A200/300 series, etc. There are so many to choose from that a short list would be really useful

See this thread to understand my problem

http://whathifi.co.uk/forums/p/8110/47142.aspx#47142

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. So we all want great sound for our cash. The problem is that great sound means a compromise is required in terms of living space. I think Clare said she didn't love the kit, she loved the way it made her music sound. I agree with this sentiment. So ideally the kit would be totally invisible....clearly very hard to achieve with today's technology.

The biggest single impact on living space is the speakers. I am sure that many a partner has baulked at the thought of all the wires and huge boxes dominating the living room. The compromise? In/on wall speakers. If you could promise your other half that they'll barely notice the speakers, I am sure that there would be more support for achieving a great sound.

I understand that in the US In/On Wall speaker are used widely. Why aren't they used as widely over here? Probably because punters are generally unaware of them, they are difficult to audition (not many retailers are going to be able to bung them into the wall) and reviews are largely non-existant.

The mag proudly claims to be at the forefront of new innovations citing CD, DVD, MP3 as examples of this. I would have to agree with their claim. I feel that, given the right exposure, the next big thing (other than media networking) will be the adoption of discrete audio. I feel that WHFSV, with their dedicated review facilities, would be ideally placed to champion this advancement in home entertainment.

I would be grateful for any comments from the team or, indeed, any other poster.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's something we've been having a lot of discussions about lately - the main issues being how to test custom-install kit effectively (because if we can't do it properly, it wouldn't be true to our testing ethos).

Watch this space....

(PS Reason in-wall/ceiling speakers are more popular Stateside is typically different house-construction methods - for example, they don't build as much in brick, as we do in the UK, which makes in-wall etc far easier to accommodate...)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
It would either require the construction of

Temporary stud walls (front and back) into which the speakers can be mounted or

4x2 "picture frames" into which the speakers can be mounted. These are then fixed to the front and back wall.

The latter approach has actually been adopted by Dali - they supply something called a Phrame for the higher end in-wall mounted speakers (Euphonia and Helicon). However, the building of a couple of stud walls, complete with insulation and plaster board as found in many new build homes, would not be particularly expensive.

Should I get a set of these speakers, I intend to create partial stud walls at either of my lounge to house the speakers and TV. For the rears these will simply be columns about two or so feet wide running from floor to ceiling which are about 5 inches deep.

The fronts will be in a single column which is wide enough to accomodate the L&R&C and the TV.....much like a false chimney breast but only about 5 inches deep....so that the TV is also recessed into the wall, producing a nice flush finish. This is much easier than bashing the walls about to accomodate each speaker and also provides ample opportunity to hide wiring.

Trouble is there are no reviews and no-where to audition....so unless something is forthcoming from the mag, I'll have to either think again or lash out wods of cash for speakers that may ultimately sound terrible!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Watch this space....

[/quote]

I too have been scouring the web for info on this and as a relatively new subsciber will be 'watching this space' with anticipation.

regards

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The sound would be pretty aweful comparing to a proper Hifi speakers I shall think! I spend more than 30 hours setting up my speakers with spirit level, move in a bit, toe in a bit more and all that boring (but needed) prectice to get the best sound stage out of them. You can't do all that with in-wall/ceiling not to mention difficulty of installation and a pain in the neck if you want to upgrade later on.
In most hotels and restaurants they use car's speakers for that kinna thing and yes, it made some noise but not much else I afraid! All imo

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
I spend more than 30 hours setting up my speakers with spirit level, move in a bit, toe in a bit more and all that boring (but needed) prectice to get the best sound stage out of them.&nbsp
[/quote]

Your my hero Thai!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes. Of course you are right Thaiman. However, I suspect that style packages don't do it for you either.

I feel that the review of these in wall units would be a coup for the mag. It would underline the state of the art facilities at the command of the editor and would demonstrate the mag's commitment to their readership by exploring all of the possible options. Currently, the absence of these reviews is a big hole in the mags coverage (IMO)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts