Why is this site like a pub on the Moon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

theflyingwasp said:
gel said:
Sliced Bread said:
gel said:
I won't be buying a new amp - no chance.

Well I guess it's not like dts-MA sounds rubbish or anything.

Agreed. :)

All those in the market for a new receiver ,or people like myself buying their first amp are going to be very happy.

i have no intention of buying a 4K TV and there are no 4K blu ray players but at least if I buy a state of the art Dolby Atmos 2.0 amp I'm future proofed for a hell of a long time.

I doubt many will ever need more than 5.1 and like sliced bread said it's not as if DTS Master Audio is rubbish but to start with 7.1 and keep adding and getting the full potential of each speaker 9.1.4 is going to sound awesome!

anyone know the recommended room size for 9.1.4 or 11.1.4?

Would you go full ceiling speakers? If so would you want in ceiling speakers, cabinets or perhaps a speaker designed on ceiling reflections integrated into your L & R channels?

I'm fully interested in the idea of Atmos, even though I'm satisfied with DTS-MA and I've literally only just bought a Pioneer LX87 (bad timing). But I would sell it quickly to get as much money back as possible if I can figure out if I would benefit from Atmos.

I think...that I would be restricted to 5.1 for at least the next year or two until I move house because my room layout simply wouldn't allow for ceiling speakers unless they are in-ceilings (really don't want to do that if I'm selling the house), discrete and tidy (unlikely) or reflective (but only if they work well).

Realistically though, I'm going to be living with 5.1 for quite a while unless B&W come out with a compatible (and appropriate) speaker based on the CM package that fullfills my requirement.

So the question becomes, will 5.1 Atmos sound better than 5.1 DTS-MA.

As I'm going for a new home cinema system (in-wall and in-ceiling based) in my house when it's ready by November-December, I will investigate the possibility of having some extra ceiling speakers installed to support Dolby Atmos. I have a meeting with a home cinema installer in 2 weeks, will ask him the question.

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
As I'm going for a new home cinema system (in-wall and in-ceiling based) in my house when it's ready by November-December, I will investigate the possibility of having some extra ceiling speakers installed to support Dolby Atmos. I have a meeting with a home cinema installer in 2 weeks, will ask him the question.

there will always be something better down the line but I can't realistically see us home cinema enthusiasts having to bother with anything else soundwise when we get a proper 7.1.4 ,9.1.4 or 11.1.4 set up using Atmos .

room size must play a factor you can't just keep adding speakers.

looks like you've timed this pretty well BigBoss.

im pretty excited by this! I was so close to dropping 4-5 grand on the monitor audio apex 7.1 and the flagship anthem receiver.i would have been very annoyed after last nights announcement!

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:

If you're going to that effort then you might as well :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts