why is the new mac mini so popular with computer based music

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I want to use a computer to store and play all my music via a DAC and still have a reasonably good hifi sound.after reading a few threads the new mac mini seems the clearprefered option.any reason for that ?

A

Anonymous

Plus you can remotely control it with the iPhone and iTouch.

A

Anonymous

It consumes very little power, and Macs are easier to configure for bit perfect output to a Dac.

Cheers Craig

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I suspect it's that Windows is a little tricky to set up bit perfect playback and that iTunes works better on Macs.

Macs are also preferred by the music creating/recording fraternity due to the low latency out of the box. Windows requires additional plugins to achieve the same levels eg ASIO, WASAPI, etc.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys for all the replies and advice.now i ve got to have the wife accept the idea to swap from pc to mac.unfortunately all of her work is pc based so not easy...

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Can't she just continue to use the pc she's got? Just cos you have a MAC that doesn't mean she can't have a pc as well.

Yes, and bear in mind that the way a Mac functions is sometimes different than how a PC would function (e.g. to grossly over-simplify, a few different keys for different things etc), and there's no issue with that, because you quickly get used to it and then soon find that it's the Mac that seems 'right'. However if the Mrs is having a change to Mac forced upon her she may not be so receptive....

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
DrizztDan:£650 seems alot of money. Would you use it really?

If you're using the mac mini primarily as a media player, you don't need to get a particularly powerful one...although the HDMI out on the new models is quite attractive.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I got a 10month old MM for £370... 2GHz, 4GB's of RAM... dvi out is absolutely better for me. Means I don't need the amp on for general internet browsing (plugged straight into telly) - although it will be more often than not.

Tbh, I feel Apple are taking the mickey charging £650 for the MM with an Imac < £1000...

A

Anonymous

I am thinking to use the mac mini to send directly the music to my the new amp I am thinking to buy....

I am undecided between the HK 3390 and the HK 3490....the latter has a digital inputs (2ch-PCM) (Coax/Optical)...is it worth it to pay more in order to have that? (sorry, not really an expert)

Another question...do I really need a DAC? How much will improve the music quality? I use only MP3

Thanks for the feedback

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Do you need a DAC? Absolutely. Indeed, you can't do without one if the source media is digital. So it depends on the quality of DAC you want to stretch to, using either the DAC in the Mac Mini, the amp or a dedicated DAC unit. The dedicated unit clearly provides an opportunity to upgrade as funds allow.

In my experience, the biggest factor influencing SQ will be the quality of the source media, with heavily compressed lossy files sounding worse relative to lossless files. Ignore statements regarding uncompressed files sounding best. Lossless files contain all the information of the original uncompressed file, so you might as well save the space.

A

Anonymous

Any suggestion on a DAC to put between Mac mini and amp....let's say one under 100 (if exists......)

Thanks a lot

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
How about a secondhand Beresford TC-7510 off the bay? I'm sure you could get one for much less than a ton (although there aren't any at the moment).

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try building one of these. It might be a bit tricky soldering the chips onto the PCB!

A

Anonymous

It's (the Mac Mini) quite popular with itunes users as it integrates well, although a fanless windows home server, such as the Tranquil Harmony can do the job just as well. Mac Mini also appeals to the 'lifestyle' users since the apple boxes are always nicely designed and the Apple system all bolts together well and that is what you pay the premium for.

Do look at DACs from Cambridge and MF as well as the Beresford. money well spent.

Alternatively the Sonos system is very good, extremely easy to implement (at least as easy as Apple) and can utilise your existing PC and network infrastructures without a culture change for your wife. Ditto the Logictech Squeezebox system, especially the latest SBTouch which is a dream to set up and use and sounds just great for £220.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts