Why is the Denon AVRX2300 rated so much better than Yamaha?

petenz

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
In terms of reviews and forums, people seem to quickly discount competitors and encourage getting the AVRX2300. What makes this such a no-brainer? Is it simply the on-paper specs, which are similar, or is there more to it? Quality, sound, etc.

For example, the Yamaha RXV581 rates well on its own but seems to be immediately dismissed when pitted against the Denon.

*Possibly asking in part because the AVRX2300 is only £399 at Richer Sounds right now.

zoz1234

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I myself have just bought the Denon in question, and am currently pulling my hair out trying to work through the setting up of it........not the connections etc....the finer tweaks. I am one of the consumers who moans like hell at having the manual only online and not on my lap in my living room in front of the home cinema setup that I am trying to set up.

I have just bought this to replace a Yamaha amp, the RX- V673. When i buy a new piece of kit, i tend to hate it for a while until i get used to the interface and ease of adjusting certain parameters that I find important.

But i never really was happy with the Yamaha. I considered it a huge let down from the old Sony model I had previously used for over 10 years. Main thing .....power. It was very agile with the movie side of things, the quality of the processing of the surround effects etc was impressive. It just didn't have grunt. I watch a lot of live music concerts, and i listen to metal. The Yamaha didn't have enough attack for me. I listen to things loud, and on the sony i never got to half volume and the house was shaking. The yamaha i nearly reached three quarters volume on a number of occassions and that's with the blu ray input level on maximum!! It felt too safe. I am hoping when I get the Denon going it doesn't let me down.

One thing is for certain, a good review in what hi fi isn't going to be indicative of how you feel about the product with your own eyes and ears in your own living room. I , like you mentioned, bought the Denon because i read it had power, it has the specs i need for my new ish 4k tv and ultra hd blu ray player, and i got it for £399.

ursus999

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ihave useddenon receivers since the superb 3300 came outmany years ago. ibriefly tried arcam 300 & 350 but have always gone back to denon. i dont think denon receivers have improved since the 3300& i will look for one to replace my 2310/..

ursus999

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
ihave used denon receivers since the superb 3300 came outmany years ago. ibriefly tried arcam 300 & 350 but have always gone back to denon. i dont think denon receivers have improved since the 3300& i will look for one to replace my 2310/..

TheSinnerGr

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Purely because of dealer support. Check out the whathifi review of 2300w and comare it to others. you'll immediately notice a different format (similar to advertisement) and the fact that they did it almost before it hit the shelves. Why? Cause the dealer offered it to them. So if the other brands dealers aren't so...supportive, don't expect reviews on equal terms, and thus public opinion is gonna be a lot different. Notice that they compare the 2300w to the rx-v581 (past years the denon 2xxx series was compared to rx-v6xx series) and the denon 1300w to the freekin rx-v381! Their reasoning? the price....But they could involve the price to their review, deducting points for overpriced instead of this mess. whoever reads their reviews without overthinking, will def buy a denon. Then again, if Yamaha or whoever doesn't care for their products to be reviewed or "marketed" then it's their own damn fault.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TheSinnerGr said:
Purely because of dealer support. Check out the whathifi review of 2300w and comare it to others. you'll immediately notice a different format (similar to advertisement) and the fact that they did it almost before it hit the shelves. Why? Cause the dealer offered it to them.

Good conspiracy theory, except the review sample probably came from Denon and not a dealer, and it's quite usual for manufacturers to supply such samples ahead of the on-sale date, so the reviews are published at the same time as, or just ahead of, the product appearing on the dealer's shelves.

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think we live in a time where there is not a lot to choose between them all, Yamaha's have been well reviewed in the past and been award winners many times in this price range, every dog has thier day so no doubt it will be another brands turn next as they come full circle, sound wise i dont think there is much between them all, its hard to buy a bad one these days, features seem to be the many thing these days that seperate's them :)

TRENDING THREADS