Why is my Monitor Audio BX5 humming?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I ended up buying Monitor Audio BX5 speakers!! I have to say they look really nice. I took receipt of them yesterday (2nd Feb) and was eager to set them up. I used the standard speaker cables which came with the speakers for my Aiwa XR-EM70 Compact Disk Midi Stereo System - low end stuff!! But when it was all set up as soon as I tried to play something the BX5s just hummed! I checked and re-cheked all my connections and everything was correctly connected up but nothing. Just this terrible humming. I reconnected the speakers from my Aiwa midi stereo system and they played fine. I couldn't work it out so I got my son-in-law to come over and he disconnected all the cables from my Technics stacking system and reconnected them again and still the BX5s hummed! In the end, in order to test whether there was a problem with the BX5 speakers we took them round to his. He connected them to his Arcam Alpha 8se and bi-wired them to the power amps and they played perfectly!! We then tested the speakers by doing a straightforward wire just using two pins in instead of four and they played perfectly! So what can the problem be? Any theories?

This all follows on from a previous post so apologies for the duplication but I realise that I should have started a new post with a new subject heading. To recap I am using my old Technics integrated stereo stacking system which has been in the loft for at least last 10 years. I have the following pieces: Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-X102, Stereo Double Cassette Deck RS-X102, Stereo Synthesizer Tuner ST-X302L, Compact Disc Player SL-PJ28A and a DC Servo Automatic Turntable System SL-J110R.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Toosweet:
I ended up buying Monitor Audio BX5 speakers!! I have to say they look really nice. I took receipt of them yesterday (2nd Feb) and was eager to set them up. I used the standard speaker cables which came with the speakers for my Aiwa XR-EM70 Compact Disk Midi Stereo System - low end stuff!! But when it was all set up as soon as I tried to play something the BX5s just hummed! I checked and re-cheked all my connections and everything was correctly connected up but nothing. Just this terrible humming. I reconnected the speakers from my Aiwa midi stereo system and they played fine. I couldn't work it out so I got my son-in-law to come over and he disconnected all the cables from my Technics stacking system and reconnected them again and still the BX5s hummed! In the end, in order to test whether there was a problem with the BX5 speakers we took them round to his. He connected them to his Arcam Alpha 8se and bi-wired them to the power amps and they played perfectly!! We then tested the speakers by doing a straightforward wire just using two pins in instead of four and they played perfectly! So what can the problem be? Any theories?

This all follows on from a previous post so apologies for the duplication but I realise that I should have started a new post with a new subject heading. To recap I am using my old Technics integrated stereo stacking system which has been in the loft for at least last 10 years. I have the following pieces: Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-X102, Stereo Double Cassette Deck RS-X102, Stereo Synthesizer Tuner ST-X302L, Compact Disc Player SL-PJ28A and a DC Servo Automatic Turntable System SL-J110R.

The problem is your system or the way you've got it configured coz speakers are passive devices and don't hum.

A

Anonymous

Sorted! I found a Active Current Sensor switch on the back of the amp and once I switched this to the off position the speaker boomed into action and it sounds great! Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts