Why I love Hi Fi.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
1. Electronics are sexy. There's just something about the sleek metal and beautiful construction. It's like art to me.

2. Tweaking is fun. Cables, room acoustics, speaker positioning, rack adjusting, etc...

3. There's always something better that you can't afford. There's always another rung up the ladder and it's fun to research these products.

4. New technology and new products! Every year it get's better. Always something new to consider/explore.

5. Music! Love to buy it. Love to listen to it. Love finding a new gem. Love scouring amazon and iTunes for new discoveries.

6. Discussing. Love to read and post on-line about Hi Fi and Music.

7. Mags. WHF is the best. Read a few others too. Love them.

8. Showing off. Wowing friends that have no clue about Hi Fi. They can't believe it.

9. Embarassingly, I like the pretentious elitism of it. I do like knowing I've got something special, not that run of the mill rubbish at the big box stores.

Did I miss something on your list?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or anybody else thinks they are better served by something cheap that works fine? Because reputed brands that are more expensive seem to not be perfect as well. So for getting something that won't be perfect, I prefer to go for something cheaper.

Music is paramount to me, regardless of what system or set-up you have.

It's always best to set a firm budget and stick to it - only upgrade if you feel your system lacks certain sonic traits. The upgrade will only succeed if you have value-for-money e.g. if it warrants the additional money spent.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:
1. Electronics are sexy. There's just something about the sleek metal and beautiful construction. It's like art to me.

2. Tweaking is fun. Cables, room acoustics, speaker positioning, rack adjusting, etc...

3. There's always something better that you can't afford. There's always another rung up the ladder and it's fun to research these products.

4. New technology and new products! Every year it get's better. Always something new to consider/explore.

5. Music! Love to buy it. Love to listen to it. Love finding a new gem. Love scouring amazon and iTunes for new discoveries.

6. Discussing. Love to read and post on-line about Hi Fi and Music.

7. Mags. WHF is the best. Read a few others too. Love them.

8. Showing off. Wowing friends that have no clue about Hi Fi. They can't believe it.

9. Embarassingly, I like the pretentious elitism of it. I do like knowing I've got something special, not that run of the mill rubbish at the big box stores.

Did I miss something on your list?

Agreed :)

Following on from point 9, I also like the fact my Amplifier is Audiolab and people say "what's that?"
Then I tell them its from 1985 and they don't belive me :)

A

Anonymous

I agree with jaxwired...i think ear misses the point, or does not share our sentimentality when it comes to hifi...i believe bad sound kills good music, and no matter how much you love music, a poor system does not impress or deliver the music the way it is intended.

I love music, but the more money ive spent on audio equipment (albeit, money spent in the right places through research and demo), the more i get blown away with the music ive always loved. Its like listening to your favourite tracks for the first time, thats why I too am addicted. Thats why I get totally emersed when i listen to music, its almost as if I am in the studio when it was produced, or in the crowd at a live gig...fantastic and well put jax : )

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Its a funny thing isnt it. Hifi should be just a facilitator for listening to your favourite music, but as jaxwired mentioned in some valid points above, its about much more than that. I think its also about possessing something of real solid build, which you know a great deal of work has gone in to in order to make it appealing to the eyes and ears, and ofcourse its about trying to convert the non believers!

A

Anonymous

Excellent post Jaxwired and I agree with most of your points. I've recently upgraded CD player and speakers and find that I've now got a renewed vigour in my music. I'm going through a phase of buying CD's of albums that had an influence on me in my youth (late 70's early 80's) plus digging out CD's that I've not listened to for a while - those CD's now sound better than they ever did. I dare say the amp will get replaced nearer the end of the year and I look forward to that whole process, researching, demoing then enjoying.

Anyway I'm off to listen to some Van Halen then Iron Maiden, coupled with my other 'hobby' of wine appreciation!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Trap6:Anyway I'm off to listen to some Van Halen then Iron Maiden, coupled with my other 'hobby' of wine appreciation!

Van Halen & Iron Maiden and wine appreciation? Eh?

What happened to 15 pints, a bottle of Jack Daniels and copious amounts of 'exotic substances'? Surely a good heavy metal concert isn't complete without a night in A&E afterwards. (Stomach pump, a few stitches, a bit of judicious glass removal etc.)

Tsk. Going soft.

Slayer with Pimms anyone?

Megadeth & a nice Merlot?

idc

ear:Is it just me or anybody else thinks they are better served by something cheap that works fine? Because reputed brands that are more expensive seem to not be perfect as well. So for getting something that won't be perfect, I prefer to go for something cheaper.

Hear, ear! I would rather be totally happy with the sound of my hifi, whatever the price it is, even if it is a cheaper brand, than dissatisfied with a mega high end setup. I want to listen to the music rather than the system.

But I do enjoy the whole 'process' of researching, talking about, dreaming, tweeking, auditioning and buying hifi as well.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

. 7. Mags. WHF is the best.

Is that chocolate on your nose?
emotion-4.gif
emotion-11.gif

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Why I love hifi?, my last post in 'how long to burn in dac' says it all really....... Now should I go down to the pub after tea or have evenings listening hmmm
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Trap6:Anyway I'm off to listen to some Van Halen then Iron Maiden, coupled with my other 'hobby' of wine appreciation!

Van Halen & Iron Maiden and wine appreciation? Eh?

What happened to 15 pints, a bottle of Jack Daniels and copious amounts of 'exotic substances'? Surely a good heavy metal concert isn't complete without a night in A&E afterwards. (Stomach pump, a few stitches, a bit of judicious glass removal etc.)

Tsk. Going soft.

Slayer with Pimms anyone?

Megadeth & a nice Merlot?

Ah! the good ole days.

Slayer with pimms + Megadeth with a nice Merlot = I suppose I asked for that.

It's just that good music (be it Iron Maiden etc or something softer) + booze = pleasure!

A

Anonymous

Great post Jaxwired,

I first got addicted when i saved and saved to buy a Linn LP12 turntable and have been in to it ever since,I have rarely had the finances to really indulge in high end but i have often found that the research( and god i enjoy that) and desire far outweigh the actual purchase.Today i have a nice system but again what i really enjoy is the maybe one day i can have something better and in the meantime i can keep researching.

A

Anonymous

To justify expensive(ish) HiFi to my friends I draw a comparison to a Ferrari.

...yes its a tool, a mode of transport but its more than that; its the pinnacle of Automotive engineering and looks good when standing still.

HiFi can be the same, I'd love to own some expensive Meridian, Chord or McIntosh gear just becasue of the amazing engineering that goes into it and just to "own it".

Oh and the fact it'd sound great is the icing on the cake :)

A

Anonymous

It's all about the music for me. Which makes you wonder why I'm murdering my ears trying to learn the violin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts