Why do BD Players take so long to start?

AndrewFG

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Why do BluRay players take so long to start up? And why, once they have started, do they take so long to load a disc? And why do BluRays take longer to load than DVDs?

Fo me, this is a major irritant. Do any manufacturers have technology in the pipeline to fix this? I don't mean just shaving a few seconds off, but really reducing the time by a factor of ten (say)...

A

Anonymous

On my Sony I could go on the energy saving menu and "disable" this. Al least the power and open/closing went must faster...the loading...well the time still sucks!

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Certainly one of the major factors has to be the Java Thingy.
AFAIK, the player first checks what type of disc is inserted, then loads the Java program, then goes to check online for BD live content, etc.
Some discs appear quicker than others but I guess not all are instructing the player to go online.
But then again it's a small price to pay for such a neat feature and it only happens when loading a new disc so no big deal.
I assimilate it to starting a PC: turn it on, make a cup of tea, come back :)

If you just wait and stare at it it, somehow knows and takes twice as long for some reason.

Yes, it takes time to load the java applications. Blu-ray players need a stronger processor to enable them to load discs quickly (like the PS3). The newer 3D enabled BD players launching this year will be considerably faster (because of the more powerful processors required for 3D, I suspect).............2010 Panasonic players claim a disc loading time of mere 0.5 secs!!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
One of the reasons I bought the Oppo (apart from SACD support) was the excellent loading times. I think the first generation players were simply not fit to be released to the general public because they were unusable.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tonya:Some discs appear quicker than others but I guess not all are instructing the player to go online.

I think it's more to do with how complex the menu system on the disc is, Terminator 4 is a nightmare but the menu system is huge, very complicated, a lot going on. Compare that to most Warner Brothers discs, which have minimal menus (just a single page with static menus on) and usually default to going straight into the film (with the wrong soundtrack, grrr...) and they load much much quicker.

I can see one of those loading a WB disc in 0.5 seconds but I don't believe they'll be able to do T4 that quick. I don't think many PCs will be able to load it that quick and they have far more processing power than any BDP.

Java's a horrible bloaty pig of a thing...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
nads:bigboss:2010 Panasonic players claim a disc loading time of mere 0.5 secs!! is that from putting the disc in the tray or turning on the player?

We'll find that out when we test them (with a range of discs!) Should have first hands-on with UK spec players within a few weeks.

nads:bigboss:2010 Panasonic players claim a disc loading time of mere 0.5 secs!! is that from putting the disc in the tray or turning on the player?

As Clare said, only a review can tell us what exactly that meant.

This is where I got the info from: http://whathifi.com/News/CES-2010-UPDATED-Panasonic-goes-big-on-3D-plasma-LED-lit-LCDs-and-fast-load-Blu-ray/

"Also due this Spring are new Blu-ray players - provisional model numbers
Panasonic DMP-BD65 and DMP-BD85 - that the company claims will load a
disc in a mere 0.5 seconds. We can't wait to try that one out!"

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
hammill:One of the reasons I bought the Oppo (apart from SACD support) was the excellent loading times. I think the first generation players were simply not fit to be released to the general public because they were unusable.

I've just bought an Oppo as well and am flabbergasted at the speed it loads discs at. As quick as a late model DVD player and then some. My wife is usually quite blas‚ about my system upgrades but she's been very vocal about how much she likes the new blu-ray thingie that doesn't take ages to do everything anymore. Apparently all the BR decks from manufacturers using the Mediatek chipset are just as quick. It really makes you wonder, the Oppo has been out for some time now so someone's been capable of making BR players that can handle discs in a reasonable amount of time- how come the big boys have taken so long to catch up? (If they truely have?)

A

Anonymous

AndrewFG:
Why do BluRay players take so long to start up? And why, once they have started, do they take so long to load a disc? And why do BluRays take longer to load than DVDs?

Fo me, this is a major irritant. Do any manufacturers have technology in the pipeline to fix this? I don't mean just shaving a few seconds off, but really reducing the time by a factor of ten (say)...

I find it only a minor irritant. I put the disc in, get my popcorn and soft drink sorted and when I get back, the disc is ready to play. I am then rewarded for my patience with a fantastic picture and sound quality.

Well worth the very short wait! However, if you own a Pioneer 51FD, then my heart goes out to you!
emotion-39.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I find it ridiculous

A state of the art bluray player that takes longer loading than it takes me to make a sandwhich

This is indeed the future.............
emotion-7.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Have only watched Star Trek, Wall:E and Iron Man, but so far my machine doesn't seem appreciably slower than my DVD player. I was worrying it would fail the "other-half" test on account of "better tech, rubbish in action", but no complaints so far!

A

Anonymous

Why get so het up about loading speeds?
emotion-7.gif

As long as one's happy with the end result, surely that's all that matters. My 2500BT takes quit a while but it's worth the wait, and I don't have to worry bout my blood pressure
emotion-2.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I don't see it as an issue either.

I don't expect to sit down, push a button and the main feature to appear on screen so I put the disc in, get munchies sorted, get lighting adjusted, make sure my seat's comfortable and sit down.

Relax and enjoy.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Phil77

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I bought Terminator 2 Skynet Edition on Bluray the other day i swear to god it must of taken over 5 minutes to load to the start menu on my Sony 360 player i have alot of Blurays and none are like this..

A

Anonymous

I don't know what this 'Skynet edition' is but my regular Terminator Salvation blu-ray loads up pretty quickly on my BD55.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have two kids and the eldest is not settled until 9. I rarely get the chance to watch a film straight through as either me or my partner has fallen asleep within the hour. The kids often watch bits of films or series before and after dinner. This is how life is for many parents. Having to wait several minutes for a blu-ray to load makes it an unusable format for many. When DVDs will load quickly and restart where they left off and blu-rays frankly offer little picture improvement on the average TV, it is surprising they sell as well as they do

A

Anonymous

hammill:I have two kids and the eldest is not settled until 9. I rarely get the chance to watch a film straight through as either me or my partner has fallen asleep within the hour. The kids often watch bits of films or series before and after dinner. This is how life is for many parents. Having to wait several minutes for a blu-ray to load makes it an unusable format for many. When DVDs will load quickly and restart where they left off and blu-rays frankly offer little picture improvement on the average TV, it is surprising they sell as well as they do

They sell for the superior picture and sound quality - primary reason. Loading times are secondary.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts