Why did you buy that hifi?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Space, prices and a funny burning sensation in my back pocket!

Plus the fact that i was listening to music via an Onk AV amp and B&W XT surround sound system and it was beginning to annoy me! Its good but just not good enough!

John Duncan

d_a_n1979:Hob? Or twiddly ones?

Haha :)

IMG_3974.jpg

emotion-5.gif

idc

JohnDuncan:
IMG_3974.jpg
emotion-5.gif

Looks are important. So many admit to buying hifi because they like the look of it, without ever listening to it. My first set up was bought because of a review in Which? and I have bought exclusively based on What hifi reviews. My present set up is down to constant house moves and never being able to get a room where I could put the speakers in a decent position, fed up with loads of cable, space for CD and cassette storage and sound.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My other half bought it, its her system, along with B&W CM7 speakers.

She bought it becasue the sound suited her music tastes down to a tee and she wanted a minimal system as well so Cyrus fitted the bill from the off...

We looked at MF gear but she didnt like the sound as much and the prices were rediculous in some cases.

A

Anonymous

Well, certainly not looks (see my system below).
Over £500 off the RRP did play its part.

A

Anonymous

I had my Quad amp rebuilt because I was incredibly curious to see what a custom redesign and build could achieve. It cost me under £400 and is something totally different. It's made of serviceable components and I can roll the OP amps too. The thought of spending >£1k on a power amp to get the same result just doesn't cop it now I've got hold of this new block
emotion-1.gif

My speaker purchase last year was somewhat less considered. I decided on the Tuesday that I'd had enough of MA's speakers and their brightness so I booked a slot with Lincoln 7Oaks for the Saturday. Having spent four hours listening to speakers I placed an order. I don't like beating around the bush...
emotion-1.gif
The improvement in sound quality alone had me hypnotized. I had to buy them. Now I'm afraid to step into a hifi shop, another reason for having a Quad rebuild...

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The Arcams i picked up for 3 key reasons

1. The price dropped nearly 50% last year in preparation for new models
2. At the new price i couldnt find anything that really beat it for quality and sound - but i admit i only demo'd about 3 others (i tried one or two more after i bought them and still havent been dissappointed by my purchase)
3. I like the way they looked

The Neat speakers i did this properly and demo'd 6 comparative speakers in an afternoon session with a good dealer and chose the ones i liked best.

I am still intruiged to try other makes - for instance i still have never heard a Naim system but i dont get the impression from many forum posters that i will like it - one day i will give it a listen.

A

Anonymous

Believe it or not looks played an important part in my purchase - I love the minimalist and timeless design of the cyrus boxes and the fact that no matter what I upgrade with (as long as its cyrus) it looking the same.

My girlfriend would also have struggled accepting full size gear if it wasn't locked away in a cabinet.

matthewpiano

I bought my hi-fi because I'd tried several fairly expensive new systems and found something lacking. I got to the point of frustration with Arcam CD73/A70, Cambridge 740C/740A, and Denon DCD1500AE/PMA1500 and needed to cut loose.

The CD player and amplifier I bought second hand because of their reputation for getting on with making music, and the speakers I bought a long time ago but, for some reason, had kept hold of them. Together they are brilliantly musical and beat everything else I've had here hands down.

A

Anonymous

nemof:i bought my hifi for one simple reason my love of music
...buy why that one?..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts