Why are most hi-fi speakers so damn ugly?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

And, after musing about being somewhere over the rainbow, why would anyone want to weigh a pie?

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
dasherdiablo1:What about QUADs? Yes they are box shaped.....but the finish on them is first class, possilby the best cabinet finish I've seen. I've just bought a pair of 11L2's for our bedroom in piano black; they look and sound divine.

The grilles on them make them look terrible. They are nice and shiny tho'!

Personally I like my speakers to look like speakers. Not like some of the B&W stuff. Those Mordaunt-Short Mezzo series speakers look dodgy as well.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Breeder:
Is it just me or does anyone else find most hi-fi speakers unattractive? The only manufacturers that seem to make nice speakers are Monitor Audio and Tannoy. My hi-fi is a major feature of my living room and with large floorstanders they are certainly not discrete they have to look good too. Surely a speaker and sound great as well as look nice - I don't see why the two are mutually exclusive. In all my speaker purchases the asthetics has played a factor in a purchasing decision and I've had to decide against some speakers because I didn't their looks.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Most hifi is very ugly unfortunately, certainly to anyone without a trained eye anyway. Cables everywhere, a mix match of compnents. Funny really, even I look at some systems and think 'oh my god', but at the end of the day most people here wouldn't have it any other way and rightly so. It's not about the looks, it's about the sheer pleasure of great sound.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Are most hifi speakers really ugly?

2776222405_70f131ef33_s.jpg
Maybe this is an ugly one. But think again.. Its is not ugly.. It is KEF!

How about this

2776222603_86df97754f_s.jpg

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Monitor Audio nice?! Perhaps compared with some but having rows of white drive units staring at me is not my idea of nice. Still, each to their own. Its like furniture and as such has to fit in with the rest of the living area for most normal people that happen to inhabit space with others. There's enough choice out there to please most people. Slim, wide, tall, small, curved, round and different colours, where's the problem? Have a look at missions new speakers. Not for everyone but absolutely gorgeous in gloss black to these eyes.

Agreed re Monitor Audios - much prefer the aesthetics of the black ash AVI Duos which replaced my black RS6s

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts